do you run multiple types of tires on your car?

90blkbrd

I've always believed it was best to run the same brand and model of tire on all 4 corners. I think it looks better and should make the car better handling all most circumstances.

I'm switching my setup from 255/45R17 all around to 245/45R18 in front and 275/40R18 in back. The wheels came with 275/40R18 on all rims and they are in OK shape, so I'll be using these up 2 at a time. :)

I am planning on getting Nitto's for the rear when these are all wore out. should I get Nitto's for the front or should I get a cheaper but yet still high performance summer tire for the front?

Last edited:
i have falken 255/50/16 in back and fuzion zri 225/50/16 up front. i really like how they handle and ride. i think they both have stiff sidewalls.

About the only time I mixed tires, I ran a set of good rubber Daytonas on the right side and very worn firestone somethings on the left.. After a bit of fishtailing on the road course, I concluded that it was better just to keep the worn firestones on all 4 corners.

Surprisingly, the "better" condition daytonas seemed to have less grip.. that is the RH side slid a lot more than the LH. The moral of that story is whatever you use, use 4 of the same tires if you want consistent handling.

I've always believed it was best to run the same brand and model of tire on all 4 corners. I think it looks better and should make the car better handling all most circumstances.

I'm switching my setup from 255/45R17 all around to 245/40R18 in front and 275/45R18 in back. The wheels came with 275/45R18 on all rims and they are in OK shape, so I'll be using these up 2 at a time. :)

I am planning on getting Nitto's for the rear when these are all wore out. should I get Nitto's for the front or should I get a cheaper but yet still high performance summer tire for the front?

The 245-40-18 (25.7" dia) is not going to be a good match for 275-45-18 (27.7" dia.) For equal diameters front and rear and something close to stock diameter of 26.63" use 245-45-18 frt (26.7" dia) and 275-40-18 rear (26.7" dia).

If you are going to use the tires that came with the wheels for the rear, then 245-45-18 would be a closer match. I would use the same brand tire on the front as the used ones your using on rear.

David

I'm about to run two different brands on my 94 LX. I was running Yokohama Avid S/T's on all four corners, 245/60-15's on the front and 255/60-15 on the rear, but since I can't find a new pair for the rear anywhere, I just ordered a pair of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's.

I'm running Nitto's all the way around on my XR7, though they're 245/45-17 NT555's on the front and 275/50-17 NT450's on the rear. I've been very happy with the handling in that car.

I perfer using the same brand and model of tire. There are just so many variables. But Would I waste some good tires..Nope...Buy what you want up front. CHances are your rears will wear faster the way you drive anyhow:D....

EVentually you will get the Nittos back there:O)

Back