Syphoning gas

kenewagner

Is there a trick to syphoning gas out of a SC? Tried a couple of diffrent hoses but they go in only about a foot and a half to 2 foot and hit a dead end. :confused:

Ken

Ken,

The fill hose makes two 90-degree bends before it enters the tank. Unless you have a really trick siphon hose, I don't think you can do it. But Ricardo's suggestion works great. Just undo the line at the fuel filter and then jump the wires (I think you can use the EEC test plug to accomplish this - if not, then you can probably jump them at the relay in the trunk.) I did this a few months ago when I replaced my fuel pump. You may not want to suck the tank entirely dry, however, if you aren't replacing the pump. (So you don't burn it up.)

Is there a trick to syphoning gas out of a SC? Tried a couple of diffrent hoses but they go in only about a foot and a half to 2 foot and hit a dead end. :confused:

Ken

Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail or at the filter add a section of hose to your gas can and ground the FP lead on the STO connector with the key in run possition. (See drawing in attachment)

Attachments

• Fuel pump testing.doc
    44 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail or at the filter add a section of hose to your gas can and ground the FP lead on the STO connector with the key in run possition. (See drawing in attachment)

Thats what Im going to do. Nice to know my gas is safe from anyone wanting to syphon it out:rolleyes:

Ken

I'm not sure what year they started, but the fill tubes have been siphon proof for a very long time. The manufacturers added a device that won't allow a siphon hose to enter the tank.

Thats why people were using cordless drills to put a hole in the tank and stealing gas that way back when it was $4.00 a gal.

Fuel pump doesnt run. Key was on and a grounding wire from the FP lead to the body of the car. Nothing:confused:

I'm not sure what year they started, but the fill tubes have been siphon proof for a very long time. The manufacturers added a device that won't allow a siphon hose to enter the tank.

The roll over valves prevent or make this harder as well...

Fuel pump doesnt run. Key was on and a grounding wire from the FP lead to the body of the car. Nothing:confused:

Ken,

Assuming your fuel pump works at other times, you can also cycle the ignition on and off several times to pump the fuel out. Pump will only run for about 3 seconds each time, so it may take a while.

I've done the grounding of the EEC test port several times and never had a problem keeping the pump running. Might want to check the the inertia switch in the trunk.

David

Ken,

Assuming your fuel pump works at other times, you can also cycle the ignition on and off several times to pump the fuel out. Pump will only run for about 3 seconds each time, so it may take a while.

I've done the grounding of the EEC test port several times and never had a problem keeping the pump running. Might want to check the the inertia switch in the trunk.

David

Pump has worked fine. I just finished the new exhaust and started it up to listen to it. The car has not moved an inch. inertia switch is ok. I have followed the proceedure to the letter and nothing. About ready to hook the filter back up start it and let it run untill It dies. Nothing is easy on this car:(

Ken

Join the club Ken. :)

You can do it ferris bueler style and just run the damn thing till it drives off the stand. :D

Join the club Ken. :)

You can do it ferris bueler style and just run the damn thing till it drives off the stand. :D

Guess I will go to plan B. Pull the fuel pump and syphon directly out the top of the tank. I have an access hole under the rear seat. Plan A would have been easier. I think the gas in the tank is sour, doesnt smell fresh. Its getting fresh 100 octane gas.

Cant you just drive it till you burn off the tank it should not take too many miles to do that. Take it to work and back a couple of times this week.

Guess I will go to plan B. Pull the fuel pump and syphon directly out the top of the tank. I have an access hole under the rear seat. Plan A would have been easier. I think the gas in the tank is sour, doesnt smell fresh. Its getting fresh 100 octane gas.

Have you tried cycling the ignition on and off ? Pump should start and run for a few seconds everytime you turn the ignition on...if it doesn't the car won't start.

The car is still up on ramps. It is also block in at the moment. Bad thing about driving it back and forth to work is I have no room in the garage and not going to leave it out in the drive way to be ripped off. I have already syphoned off about 8 gallons of gas. Will finish getting the rest of it out after work. More gas than I thought. Be interesting to see if the car starts right up again with fresh gas if the pump wouldnt run to pump out the old

Ken

Attachments

• Ramps.jpg
    Ramps.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 104
I built the ramps 3 years ago cuz as a poor man I couldnt afford a two post lift(even though I can spend a ton on the car) They are light easy to move. I might even sandblast them and paint them someday.

Car now has an empty fuel tank. Tomorrow some 100 octane gas will fill it up. Gotta go pick up the sticky tires and I will be ready to see what it can do.
Have a white car in Des Moines that needs trashing:D:D at Earlville

Ken

That was I was going to suggest anyway if you were deadset of getting the fuel out of the tank :D

Nice to see you got it all out.. when is the 100 octane supposed to arrive? And will you be away from it for any length of time? ;)

-Melon

Back