Cooling Questions

275hptbirdsc

One of my biggest pet peeves about cars are cars that run to hot. Yes I know cars get hot but whenever I get a car I always try and maximize its cooling potential, making sure it runs as cool as I can humanly get it without sacrificing looks or power. I need some suggestion on how to make my 1990 run cooler and I also have a question about cooling the IC. Ive heard you can put a little external fan on it to make it run cooler? Anyone else done it? Thanks guys:D

the fan on the IC helps quite a bit. good investment.

as for the cooling system....best thing to do would be contact XR7DAVE for a chip that will program the computer for a 180 t-stat and along with that do a good flush and cleaning of the system.

umm...check out siliconeintakes.com i think some people were getting them there for like $30. look for a 6 or 8 inch one.

Alright ill check it out. Also do you know how much that chip would cost? Also I just looked at the site and they dont have a 6 or 8 inch one but they do have a 7 inch one. Would that be good?

Last edited:
yea 7" would be fine. what was the CFM rating on it ?

you'll have to contact Dave cuz he has different prices for different applications.

One of my biggest pet peeves about cars are cars that run to hot. Yes I know cars get hot but whenever I get a car I always try and maximize its cooling potential, making sure it runs as cool as I can humanly get it without sacrificing looks or power. I need some suggestion on how to make my 1990 run cooler and I also have a question about cooling the IC. Ive heard you can put a little external fan on it to make it run cooler? Anyone else done it? Thanks guys:D

Same for me with the cooling thing..I wanted it to run no higher than 190 in any weather. I fought cooling issues for several years and even had the radiator recored with a thicker core, additional fans, revised fan settings with manual over ride, cooler t-stat ect..ect.. Finally cured the problem by going to a Griffin aluminum radiator.

David

Griffin alum radiator solved my problem as well. Have not had any cooling problems after its install.

Ken

yea i forgot about the griffin radiators. good investment also.

but i have a chip from dave and a 180 t-stat and the temp gauge stays between the blue line and "N" all the time.

yea i forgot about the griffin radiators. good investment also.

but i have a chip from dave and a 180 t-stat and the temp gauge stays between the blue line and "N" all the time.

Thats what Im aiming for, the normal for my car is floating around the word norm but it never goes past the m.

BTW the cfm rating for the 7 inch fan was 1100

Last edited:
have a question about cooling the IC. Ive heard you can put a little external fan on it to make it run cooler? Anyone else done it? Thanks guys:D

Info in this thread...

Does your SC still have the chin spoiler and deflector between the bottom of the radiator and top of sway bar? These came from the factory and work to help move air thru the engine compartment - it can help tremendously to have them in working order.

Make sure the press-on connector for the temp gauge sender is tight and clean - should be near the thermostat housing on the top, I believe.

Confirm the overflow tank is clean and the hose from the bottom of the tank to the radiator inlet is clear flowing.

Last edited:
Back