next on the list: the hard grinding shifting

dabs

hi peeps, thanks to your help my 89 5 speed is idling normal, now the next major thing is shifting. its hard to shift i thought it may have been from the high idle but now that thats fixed it is still hard to shift.

when i say hard to shift i mean it wants to grind gears, i was told the clutch was just changed but the master cylinder wasnt. i have to slam it all the way in to the floor just to be able to finess it into gear. some one said i would need a new trans. i was told that the trans was chaned out to a t5 i dont know how to tell the differnce.

it will go into 1st with some finess then wants to grind the rest like its just not engaged. some times i will go in easy thoug some times it will click in hard some times it wants to grind its not all the time either.

but what do you guys think master cylinder or trans rebuild? and has any one ever done this, its 70 for the part at az or 94 from pepboys there part is oem from the dealer and they quoted me $152 parts and labor.

as i noted in your other thread... change fluid... that might help with some of it.. but the reality is that your synchronizer rings are probably shot...

if it is a t5, you will be able to tell by looking at the tailhousing... if there is a fabbed up extension box bolted to the rear of the tailhousing... its a t5. if not, its an m5r2.

Back