PDA

View Full Version : head gasket failure

Lycaon1349
04-16-2009, 10:49 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad:had the car on the road for two days and my gaskets decided to go. it was always an expectation considering the amount of miles on the car but never the less it still would get anyone upset. just wondering if there are any writeups on the disassembly/replacement of said gaskets around that i can reference to. ive done HG's before but i heard that the disassembly of the 3.8 is a bitch, especially on the sc. thanks guys, all help is appreciated.

Young-SC-Owner
04-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Upper middle/right of the screen is a search.
I bet there has to be 1000 of them haha!!

Your at the right place for that!

-Tony

thunderkid84
04-16-2009, 11:36 PM
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45196

courtesy of Scott Long

Young-SC-Owner
04-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks TK...I was just gonna dig for one

Lycaon1349
04-17-2009, 12:04 AM
thanks guys, ill prolly start the teardown tomorrow:rolleyes:

Tim Groth
04-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Scott Longs write up is on point but just FYI you don't have to remove the water pump pulley as he mentions...also the Alternator, and coil pack can stay right on the accessory bracket so that will save a few more bolts to turn off.

Any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM I've tore these motors down to many times to count...can tell you the size bolt usually but can't remember what I did yesterday. :p

-Tim

Lycaon1349
04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
thanks, i had heard theres a special type of sealant i have to use for the supercharger tubing? is this true? what do i use?

DrFishbone
04-17-2009, 12:38 PM
RTV...I usually use black, some people use copper... Just make sure you keep the coat of RTV thin so that it won't squeeze into the tubing and get in your motor or IC. I always scrape the mating surfaces clean, then very lightly sand the surfaces too...then wipe them with paint thinner before putting on the RTV and bolting it up. Works for me! :D

mywhite89
04-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't use rtv at all. Contact "speedwagen" on here. He can get u re-usable teflon gaskets to seal your blower with. Worth its weight in gold in my opinion and a lot less messy. I've re-used my teflons several times.

Chris

the-big-e
04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
I'll highly recommend the use of the teflon IC gaskets.....

I have them on all my SCs.....

It even helps with tune ups, as it makes it easier to take the IC tubes out of the way.......:D

Lycaon1349
04-17-2009, 03:07 PM
just got through about half the teardown, looks like the upper tube and sc top wasnt even sealed, the metal is pretty clean aside from a few bits of somethin in there. would laying a bit of teflon tape down work?

Mike8675309
04-18-2009, 06:44 PM
just got through about half the teardown, looks like the upper tube and sc top wasnt even sealed, the metal is pretty clean aside from a few bits of somethin in there. would laying a bit of teflon tape down work?

It's not teflon tape. The factory replacement is a thick teflon tape about 1/8" thick. The gaskets they talk about here are die cut pieces of teflon sheeting that act as a re-usable gasket.