Turning rotating assembly with exhaust ports taped

pablon2

Kind of a silly question I imagine, but when installing the engine I neglected to remove the clear packing tape I had placed over the exhaust ports on the heads. I originally planned on keeping them taped until I installed the headers, and didn't realize they were still taped when turning the crank to bolt the TQ converter to the flexplate. The crank made two full revolutions and I assume the air finally bled through the tape and exhaust port. Question is, could I have damaged anything like a valve seal by this happening? I was under the car and someone was turning the crank so I wasn't in touch with the setup from that standpoint. :rolleyes:

Your repair credentials are officially revoked - turn in your tools, all rolls of packing tape and go sit in the waiting room :)

You haven't damaged anything...yet. What do you intend to do next, before actually firing the engine, is the question.

turn in your tools, all rolls of packing tape and go sit in the waiting room :)

You haven't damaged anything...yet. What do you intend to do next, before actually firing the engine, is the question.

I would gladly sit in the waiting room, but I don't imagine I'll find anybody to finish the install for me for free. :) What do I intend to do next? Remove the tape. :p Headers go on tonight with the new Remflex gaskets. Soon this will all be a 'funny' memory.

Probably need new valves, the pressure build up caused by the tape not allowing the air to escape took its toll on the exhaust valves.

Don't forget there is a chance he bent a rod or two. You can airlock an engine just like you can hydrolock it. :rolleyes:

Back