Replacement for '94 4R70W

nickleman60

I've wore out the search button and the first few pages of Jerry's J-mod article on TCCOA but I'm still unclear. What trans. are compatable with 4r70w in a '94 sc? I know the '99 and up v-6 mustang ones are a good swap after a couple of changes but I guess my question is can I use a 4r70w out of a '96 v-6 t-bird? Everything that I've read ( Jerry article )says it's a 4r70w with a different spec'd TQ. I need to know because I might have found a really cheap parts car and I need to jump on it if it will work.

I'm on the same path

I found this one locally for $250 and it ran just 2 days ago. Guy is going to turn a 96 lx bird into a mudding tuck as he's going to mount the body on a 4x4 truck. Pretty wild setup already when he let me sneak a peak.
One wierd thing is I have never seen the mustang headers on 96 birds in the junkyard, maybe this was a swap. To bad he cut up the exhaust for the cat$ and btw i have 94 ported collecters sc exhaust now.
Also I want to bring the sc back to life but it has a cracked/hanging passenger rear side bumper, passenger gfx hanging on a hair (rusted out) and i need a passenger front wheel bearing (good one on this tranny/engine)
If I do give it life again it will be for a few drags this summer and a run to the 2009 shootout, if it makes it:p

Attachments

• DSCF5576 (Large).JPG
    DSCF5576 (Large).JPG
    214 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCF5579 (Large).JPG
    DSCF5579 (Large).JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF5580 (Large).JPG
    DSCF5580 (Large).JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF5581 (Large).JPG
    DSCF5581 (Large).JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 58
it will work it just wont be all that strong. The later versions 99 plus is where you would really want to be looking. Thats my understanding..However some of the later versions (maybe 2003 plus)dont use speedo gears and that can be a problem

it will work it just wont be all that strong. The later versions 99 plus is where you would really want to be looking. Thats my understanding..However some of the later versions (maybe 2003 plus)dont use speedo gears and that can be a problem

It would be going in a stock '94 SC if that makes a difference.

One wierd thing is I have never seen the mustang headers on 96 birds in the junkyard, maybe this was a swap.

The 96-97 3.8L NA MN12's came with tubular exhaust manifolds from the factory.

To the OP, the ideal trans to look for would be a 99-02 4R70W from a V6 Mustang. One from a 96 V6 MN12 will work, but just as Damon already said, it won't be as strong as a later unit.

Keith, Are you referring to the white 1996 in Williamsburg? I saw that last week and looks like a nice car.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1125937357.html
My question I guess would be what parts of the 99-02 trannys are tougher. Is it actual hardparts or simply valvebody calibration and accumulators/springs? I know that the Direct drum is different for the 03+ for the OSS.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got his number tonight. He said the trans. worked fine, no problems.

Saw this too.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/1130344354.html

Well, its a car for 300 or a tranny for 250. Guess it comes down to how many spare parts you want. More...get the car. Less...buy the tranny only. Both look like sweet deals to me. And im sure you will get either for cheaper than asking price. If you get the tranny, I would pull the pan and have a look first though.

That white car looks like a really nice car. I actually took a few looks at that last week. Some money could be made on that one. Too bad he has it apart though. I hate buying cars that someone else has taken apart. I spend forever finding proper bolts etc to put them back the way they should be. I know where everything goes, its just usually not there. I bought a 1990 supercoupe from a NASA Engineer out in Langley back in 1997. He took it apart and could not get it back together. Gave up and sold the car to me for 1000.00. It was a pain, but I reassembled it and sold the car for over 7k(It wasnt very old back then).
Sometimes when a 3.8L is run hot for long periods, repetatively, they will crack the block in the cylinder bore. I have seen it quite a few times on the N/A blocks.

Last edited:
That white car looks like a really nice car. I actually took a few looks at that last week. Some money could be made on that one. /QUOTE]

I'll call him tonight and see about checking it out. I asked him what color the interior was hoping it was grey but he said it's brown, I guess mocha. I mapqwest'd the address he gave me and it's 63 miles so if I do decide to buy it I'll have AAA tow it home.

Back