s c = m c ?

KMT

Has the SC ever been labeled as a 'muscle car'?

If you had a choice of car show category for a stock SC, would you try your luck in '80 and Newer (Stock/Classic/Period Correct)' - or - 'Muscle Car' ...?

I feel a SC is a SC!:D Thats why we think about them, throw are money at them and chat on line about them. They are unique!:D

Stephen

Now to go back to thinking about all the mods I would like to do to my SC but can't right now!:mad: Lawsuits and jerks are messing w/ my fun!:eek:

Show wise 80 and newer...Unfortunately if you are competing against mustangs camaros and grandnationals ..You tend to be screwed.Late 80's to early 90's tend to get bunched together dependant on the show.

Compete with old muscle cars and there is alittle to no chance...AT least around by me and I go to shows often

Show wise 80 and newer...Unfortunately if you are competing against mustangs camaros and grandnationals ..You tend to be screwed.Late 80's to early 90's tend to get bunched together dependant on the show.

Compete with old muscle cars and there is alittle to no chance...AT least around by me and I go to shows often

Precisely - and that's the rub. I noticed at the same show last year (which is '50s oriented) that the 80s category was naturally top heavy since it included anything since then. As you point out, Mustangs tended to dominate ...also when it came to grabbing a trophy.

Based on numbers alone, there were much fewer 'muscle cars' to go up against. No SCs/MN12's to be seen anywhere.

What to do...

I guess I don't feel comfortable calling it a muscle car due to the v6. It's more of a grand touring or sport car than a muscle car... regardless of the horsepower we can put to the ground, or how fast we can get down the 1/4 mile.

I guess if you're doing it for a show and you think that's your best slot to be in to win, you can give it a shot. My gut tells me folks will tend to say.. that's no muscle car and pass along. To complete against a mustang, I'd say it shouldn't be that hard if you have your car setup to show what turn people on. With a bunch of mustangs around, it becomes easier to set yourself a part when you don't have a mustang.

Sc

I compete reasonably successfully (3 trophies last summer) in the special interest or modified classes. Competing in the stock classes is hopeless because it's always filled with cars that were bought new, babied, driven 20k miles or less then stored, they are really still new cars.
Gerry

I guess I don't feel comfortable calling it a muscle car due to the v6.

Then what do you call a GN?

I think Tbirds are too close to luxury cars to be called muscle cars. Like other have said, grand touring seems to be a more accurate mix of the comfort and power they were designed for.

>grand touring

Whatever, but that's not one of the categories in this show - what else ya' got? :)

I'll have to go back and look to see if:

- money pit
- fix one thing and another breaks
- ran fine when last driven, so what's wrong now
- obsolete parts magnet
- V-6...get over it

...are on the list.

Not a muscle car either. sorry. :(

Ok, but what do you call it? To me, if you have a vehicle (no matter the powerplant) that was faster than anything else domestic for its time (again, no matter the powerplant), then it should deserve a title fitting for its performance. Especially when its was faster than the Corvette/Mustang/Camaro/etc. If those are "muscle" cars, what would you call something quicker?

Well gotta be specific, the GNX if you compare '87 model year cars.

My approach/attitude is; I go to Thunderbird shows to compete, and to local, "open" shows to display. To me, it's much more meaningful to show, compete, and win at shows where there are knowledgable judges, and standardized criteria for judging. Then, any award I recieve is meaningful.

As for local shows, my mindset is to dislplay, and raise awareness of the SC. As stated, there is no way to win against a Mustang owner who has all his buddies there to vote. And, that's fine. I have some really interesting conversations about my car with people who: A) Initially think it's a modified Thunderbird, then discover it's a (comparatively) rare factory model. or B) Previous owners who bought them new, sold them, and wish they had them back. I always hear "I didn't know Ford built these", or "I haven't seen one of these since I sold mine back in 19XX".

So, to answer the question at hand; at Thunderbird events, I enter the appropriate age bracket, and compete to win. At local "fun" meets, I usually go with "Late Model", "80's & up", or other similar class. It's not a "musle car". If I want to compete in that category, I dust off my all-original 67 R/T, and usually win : )

JD

The old Grand National Debate.....JUNK!

Anyways it depends what type of show..If its a popular vote type show you probably wont fare well. If its a judged show and your car is trully judged on a set of standards and your car fits those standards...You should do well regardless of class. I always place in the top three in a judged show when my SC was stock and mint. Popular judged shows its a mixed bag. All SC shows well I tend to do well :O)

Back