Race Seat Suggestions

Super XR7

Looking for some racing seats to fit the Cougar. I will be going to Nashville speedway next month for more road course punishment but am in need of a better drivers seat; I am sick of holding onto the shifter to stay in place as I go around the twisties. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Mike

The only thing I would say is don't get them in leather. You'd be amazed how much better a cloth covered seat will grab you.

You alredy have new seat covers for the car. But how about getting another set of covers with Microfiber in the middle of it and/or have a shop add side foam to the seat bottom?

There really aren't any aftermarket recliners that are both good and cheap. If you can make do with fixed back seats Corbeaus are good for a budget and Sparcos are really nice if you can spend the extra money. If you want a supportive recliner that's good but not too expensive you may have to look at OEM takeouts from various sports cars. No matter what seat you choose bracketry will be the main problem. On my car we tossed the T-bird seat mounts and modified the Mustang seat mounts/tracks quite a bit.

I've got a pair of those plastic buckets that both Summit and Jeg's sells for about $35-$40. I Removed the stock seat from the base and installed a 3/16 aluminum plate using the same mounting holes as the stock seat. I mount the plastic seat to the plate using the 6 mounting holes on the bottom of those seats. This way I retain all of the power seat functions the stock seat had. I use the seat cover that is made for those seats and just put some foam padding under it. They are quite comfortable and very inexpensive.

Full power cloth/leather SC seats & brackets weigh 56 pounds each according to my scales. The Recaros are 42 pounds each.

I would go with the Corbeaus most definitely.. They have reclinable ones also.. I had them in my Eclipse and they were the most comfortable seats ive ever owned.. The seat actually molds to your body for a personal fit.. Look around on import boards and you usually find someone selling a pair.. I bought my pair for $400 with brackets for the car..

The reason I asked is that they have some ortho seats, the top of the line being multi electric adjustable and they weigh 55lbs! Not race seats but they look awesome for a daily driver!

Stephen

The only thing I would say is don't get them in leather. You'd be amazed how much better a cloth covered seat will grab you.

Good advice. The last time I went I put a sheet of toolbox liner down over the leather seats and it worked very well.

Mike

Thanks guys, I am on the hunt for some black Corbeaus.

For those who have changed to a racing seat, where did you connect the upper harness?

Mike

Thanks guys, I am on the hunt for some black Corbeaus.

For those who have changed to a racing seat, where did you connect the upper harness?

Mike

When you run a racing harness then normally the upper harness connects to the roll cage. However, without a roll cage you can get them with a long strap that will bolt to one of your rear seatbelt anchors. This type of strap will be in the form of a long "Y".

Dave's right on. The thing to remember is that under no circumstances should you connect the shoulder belts to the floor. Doing so can cause your spine to compress in an accident and you'll definitely be hurt. Ideally the shoulder belts should mount at shoulder height, but that's not always possible, so go with Dave's advice. At any rate, the higher they mount, the better.

Oh, and be wary of 4-point belts. Some sanctioning bodies are now refusing to allow them. Go with 5 or even 6-point belts.

To add to this, someone in TCCOA was discussing seats and they found a company that sells the seats and the brackets for our cars, so no custom installation is required. They seem similar as recaro seats. They have different styles.

Pricy but no custom work needed. And made in the good old USA. :D

http://www.cerullo.com/sportsSeats/xr.html

Back