First time dissasembling I/C tubes...

Deep6

Hello all,

I'm attempting to fix that nagging front timing cover seal myself, I've got all the tensioner arms
off and the belts. Drained all the coolant out and
pulled off the fan and upper rad hose. I'm stuck with the upper I/C tube, first I've got to get the
nut off the bottom (where the P/S pump is), that's a 17mm socket but I cannot get my standard 3/8" drive in there, Alternatives?

I don't have a spanner nut wrench, so I was going to take the S/C top off along with the tube. Do I need to worry about the collar sleeve on the intercooler on the upper tube, kinda looks like you have to use the spanner wrench there as well.

Also do I have to worry about using a cam sensor synchronization tool? All of the instructions that I have read are pointing to me having to remove the whole shaft....

I also would like to know if it's ok to re-seal the I/C tubes with Copper RTV? Ford wants $33.00 per piece of tape, and obviously I'd need a couple of pieces, I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. What about those gaskets that T-bird88 sells?

Any advice would be great as I am going to be continuing dissasembly tommarow.

The collar sleeve on the IC tube just pules off with the tube. There nothing to mess with there. I've use both Blue and Black silicone on the tubes and both work just fine.

As far as the cam censor goes, you should set the engine to TDC, and mark where the 1/2 moon on the "distributer" is before removing. Here's the easy to follow instructions. http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=114.topic

You're also going to be removing the harmonic balancer, so you might want to pick up a replacement crank bolt from Ford ($4.79). That will take a puller, which you can borrow from Autozone if you don't have one.

How many miles on the engine? Thought about replacing any of the timing set? All in all its not a hard job, just one you don't want to have to do more than once. Hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Thanks matt....

I was able to get the I/C tube and top off at the same time. I was able to use my standard drive and 3/8" ratshit. I fudged it and it worked. Apparently the previous mechanic who worked on my car shimmed the bolt with a couple lock washers. Good thinking. Only hope he had done that to the lower I/C tube as well.

BTW, those tubes are Dirty. Not really oily, just a S-load of carbon inside them. Think brake cleaner will work?

Yes, I do have a new crank bolt from ford. And I have a harmonic balancer puller. I even had the proper power steering pulley puller in my garage, a gift from a few years ago. Unfourtunatly, I messed up the jackscrew and I won't be able to use it to re-install the pulley.

I didn't get to the harmonic balancer yet. I spend the majority of sunday afternoon with the P/S pulley. BTW, WTF is that bracket for that goes from the water pump to the power steering pump.

My best guess is that it was put there to either A. Reduce N.V.H or B. Make your life hard.

I've got about 77K miles on my car. I did get a complete kit from ford, a timing cover gasket, front crank seal, crank bolt, water pump gasket.

Only thing I don't have is the teflon tape for the IC tubes and the anerobic sealant for the S/C top.

You can use the Copper RTV to seal the top and the IC tubes. IMO it's the best way to go.

I have had the car apart many times and used the RTV without ever having a leak. I can't say the same thing about the tefflon tape.

David

I'm thinking B. Make your life harder. Whats even more fun is the nut behind the p/s pulley (I don't have a puller). It took many skined knuckles and cussing before that b**ch came out. Then again at least I didn't have to pull the tranny crossmember to change the fluid/filter (unlike my friends chevy pick up, and for more kicks, I had to break off a pan bolt (damn I hate cork seals)).

TBIRD88 teflon Stock gaskets

I have to say that the gaskets that he makes
"OUT OF TEFLON STOCK SHEETS" iz the biz, and you can re-use it over and over and over and over again...Nothing else that comes in a weak azz tube can do that..."HELLO"????????

You were on the right path...Get the TBIRD88 gaskets...I have them on both of my SC's and they are a drop kick...No gooey sh!t to deal with, don't have to worry about whether or not you have enough gooey sh!t to do the job...Plus the gooey sh!t looks like Sh!t anyway...Get them you will not be sorry...

Cheerz

You can access that lower nut for the upper IC tube and stud by going through the driver side wheel well.
There's just enough room to get a socket on the nut or stud using a long extension.

Back