Got a quick question about idle

franky_402

Ok here is the thing this happened with my 93 n/a bird as well but i really dont think it is normal. When ever i switch gears the idle drops really low, shakes and wants to die it always catches itself and will start moving but its annoying, also sometimes if i am at a light and i turn the wheel somewhat quick it will do this too. Its not a huge problem but it can be annoying exspecially when i have not so loving ford fans they always give me crap about it. my mods are listed below nothing extensive but im sure its makes a difference. Any tips to help this???

Does it run fine otherwise? That sounds EXACTLY like what my 'Bird does. I just bought a used DIS off of a guy here hoping to fix it. We'll see.

yes otherwise the car runs strong as hell, also forgot to say that if im drivin somewhat fast and hit the brakes hard and make a quick complete stop and continue holding the break sometimes it will do the shudder wanna die thing.

ill check them but to me it doesnt seem logical that it could make the engine stall out under certain conditions but i'm sure mine are shot the car has 63k with orig everything.

im sure thats possible as well being its age, i'll have to check one of these days when it gets really nice out and i have a full day to myself. Also im thinkin i need a base tune at least, i think my cars runs rich i get not the greatest gas mileage which could also be from a vac leak ( i get 20in vac at idle tho) and no cats, there is so much i gotta do with not enough money

General maintenance on an SC includes plugs, wires, 02 sensors, fuel filter, a clean MAF sensor and air filter. This involves removing the IC (makes changing plugs easier) to reseal it and all the IC tubes, checking all hoses (including the PCV valve and vacuum line). Might as well drain the coolant, reseal the thermostat and replace the main acc belt at the same time. It will cost you a couple hundred and an entire weekend, but if you own an SC you need to do all of the above. You'd be amazed how much all the above mentioned things can affect the running of your car. If all the above stuff is taken care of, these cars will run like new at 200k miles.

It is not likely that you need a tune unless you are running larger than stock injectors.

i know about all that stuff, i had some problems with my 90 when i first got it that i cleared up, ive been outta work since jan so i have negative funds right now, just started something new today so all that stuff is definetly on the top of my list, i know the wires were changed but no idea about the plugs, im sure they werent done, as the wires the previous owner did for cosmetics i believe. This summer i wanna redo all the basic maint. stuff all brand new so thats my goal for now, and no im not running bigger injectors, but it would never hurt to get a base tune right??? Also i am looking to open up the intake some as i have an od pulley and full exhaust so tb, maf and injectors of course something i want to do if i had the extra cash, ill just have to wait and see how this summer goes!

Back