94 Thunderbird 4.6 eng. front pump transmission bushing

wincher47

Anyone have knowledge of what is involved in replacing the bushing in this vehicle, it has a 4.6 engine, so, I assume an AOD transmission or could be AODE, but similar I believe on that part. I was referring to bushing in the
front pump in this transmission. Thanks.

Yep Done it twice

This is referred to as a thrust washer, and they come in different thicknesses, depending on the end play of the internals of the transmission. It is fairly easy to replace.

-Drop Tranny, along with all the other steps required to do this.
-Remove the bolts from the front pump assembly.
-I used 2 small claw hammers and ran 2 bolts into the spots for the special tools and carefully pried the front pump out of the tranny ( lots of fluid will spill)
-The thrust washer is right behind the pump. the color depicts the thickness, not sure what color is what thickenss off the top of my head.

Of course replace the pump seal (around the pump) and Torque converter seal in the process.

Not too bad really. Coat the round pump seal (Big O-ring) with vasoline to get it to slid back into the transmission easily.

Smitty

Bushing that is in front pump assembly

Thanks for the answer, and that tells me a lot actually, but, I was referring to the bushing in the front pump assembly, the one the torque converter hub fits into for engagement of pump operation. I was told it was staked to the inside of the pump housing on the back side, hence, the reason for having to remove the pump. Also, transmission housing needs to be vertical as I was told to keep certain small parts like spacers and so on from moving around or maybe falling out of alignment when you pull the pump for this procedure.

Understand now.

Thanks for the answer, and that tells me a lot actually, but, I was referring to the bushing in the front pump assembly, the one the torque converter hub fits into for engagement of pump operation. I was told it was staked to the inside of the pump housing on the back side, hence, the reason for having to remove the pump. Also, transmission housing needs to be vertical as I was told to keep certain small parts like spacers and so on from moving around or maybe falling out of alignment when you pull the pump for this procedure.

I used an engine stand to mount the tranny to, using longer pan bolts. Be sure to get all four bolts in the engine stand so it is sturdy. Yeah that bushing can be a little bugger to get out, but once you get the pump out, you will see how it comes out.

Smitty

Back