After installing 70 bbk tb

RedSC93

After installing a 70mm BBk Throttle body I'm getting a check engine light? Seems when I push the throttle it seems to suffocate with to much air possibly?

93 Sc Auto Mods:

ZR Cold Air Intake 9' filter
95 Rebuilt Supercharger & Plenum & MAF
#36 injectors
Catback Flowmaster Exhaust
Early Style SC pulley 2%
70mm BBK Throttle Body

After installing a 70mm BBk Throttle body I'm getting a check engine light? Seems when I push the throttle it seems to suffocate with to much air possibly?

93 Sc Auto Mods:

ZR Cold Air Intake 9' filter
95 Rebuilt Supercharger & Plenum & MAF
#36 injectors
Catback Flowmaster Exhaust
Early Style SC pulley 2%
70mm BBK Throttle Body

Pull the codes. My guess is it is something to do with throttle position sensor out of range. Did you check your TPS value after installation? I believe the BBK allows for adjusting the TPS position.

This thread discusses the adjustment of a TPS sensor:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93919&highlight=adjust+tps

I think you might be right, as you see in the video when I hit the gas the Check engine light comes on. This was taken from my digital camera the speaker makes my exhaust sound like poop but the stock idealer pulleys do sound like poop. :)

<embed src="http://videos.streetfire.net/vidiac.swf?video=f853f001-75e6-4112-a7f3-9bf300e796e5" width="428" height="352" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed><br/><a href="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/93-TBird-Supercoupe_648360.htm?ref=c1ef2f46-bbbf-464e-a974-9be800dda925">93+T-Bird+Supercoupe</a>

Last edited:
When I bought it from a guy off here he had already had the TPS installed. I will try to place mine on there this afternoon.

Thanks,
Jerry

i connected my multimeter to either the green or orange wire and had a friend rotate the TPS til it said .98 V

you loosen it to adjust..It only adjust sslightly...But if your throwing a code its either bad or put on wrong to where you cant adjust...SO pull off and reinstalll I say...Or use one off your old TB as you know its good

oh i see in your video. my TB has an aluminum piece that attaches the TPS to the TB and it can be rotated.

just check the TPS voltage and see what it says.

theres also a bleed air screw to the left of your IAC. u should close it all the way and then open it 1/2 turn.

P.S. you're supposed to set the idle with the IAC unplugged. then once you get it idling good, turn the car off, plug the IAC in and fire it back up and the idle should be set.

Last edited:
If you check the thread I linked to, you'll see a comment on how to handle not having an adjustment. You end up needing to slot the holes in the sensor itself so that you can rotate the sensor slightly.

(Found From a different tread)
Most throttle bodies do not have these adjustment slots for moving the TPS sensor...mine had to be drilled out to just to get a little adjustment (about 1/16" Movement).

David

David, can you go into more detail how you did this? Thanks man

Jerry

Before you start hacking things apart, you need to measure the voltage coming from the TPS. The voltage range that the TPS is acceptable to the EEC is between 0.725 and 1.325 volts.

Fraser

(Found From a different tread)

David, can you go into more detail how you did this? Thanks man

Jerry

Jerry,

I removed the TPS and drilled out the two mounting holes. Turning the holes into slots with a dremmel works too. Check the codes before you do anything.

David

OK I sure will, I install my TPS today that I had installed on the stock 60 mm tb that I know is a new sensor and still the same results. I have like 8 TPS laying around I will take one tonight and make some slots, how will I know if it set right?

Jerry

Measure the voltage at the TPS. One wire should be ground, one wire should be 5 volts and the other should be sitting between the 2 voltages I mentioned earlier.

Fraser
ps out of curiosity, what way is the connector facing when you install the TPS.

Fixed, I just took a Larger drill bit and bored out each hole on the TPS so it would give me a little room to adjust it. Turned it Clock wise just a tad and no check engine light and the ideals is great.

Thanks again guys,
Jerry

Back