Is there a cheaper alternative to buying a new ($400) SC radiatior?

phils89sc

Has anyone ever investigated this? I know I can go to NAPA and lay down $350-$400 and get a new radiator for my 89 SC, but the fact that I do not have the money is an issue. What make this radiator so unique that it just has to be that expensive, is it the ductwork for the Intercooler? I know the cooling rows are layed out vertically as opposed to horizontally for most radiators, does this aid or hinder radiator efficiency? I got to thinking about the physical dimension of the SC radiator and another vehicle with a similiar style came to mind. 64-68 Mustangs have a radiator that is very similiar in size and is also has the vertical cooling rows. I know that it doesn't have the ducting, but that can be worked around, (can also make installing a IC cooling fan easier possibly?

Any opinions and advice are welcome.

Thanks

Phil Stocker
89 SC

88 TC

radiators

Phil,
when you take a look at the frame and other Bs connected to the radiator you can see that it is quite a job to take it all apart and fix the core then re solder it all back together. Let me tell you what happened to me. I called a local radiator shop to see how much they charged to fix a rad. She said $50 so I said how soon? Like one day service. Sounded great. So in it went. Three days later the rad shop called and said it was done. OK. When I went to pick it up the lady? (mgr and chief muscle in the shop) said if I ever brought another one of these in she would personally throw me and the fu.....ing rad in the hot tank and turn the heat on full blast!! I paid her as fast as possible and gave her another $20 and said buy everone in the shop a beer on me and got the h...ll out of there. the rad has another 60,000 miles since and no leaks. I know rad have been hashed over here several times and no real inexpensive solution has come up. I have looked in the streetrod mags and have found several about the right size for $200 or so but they are not bolt ins. You would have to remove the rad then adapt the aftermarket one. Not easy with average home tools.
best bet is to tangle with a rad. shop. probably $150 at least. Just stay away from Joplin MO. however.

bentwings

bentwings:mad: :mad:

I'm about to get the rad worked on too. Bad JB Weld repair job, and recore it. The guy said $60 if I take it out and drop it off, or significantly more if I leave the car and he does it. Is it a bear to get out of there? Thinking that if I take it out I can do the thermostat, hoses and finally do that serp belt. What's so different that this rad is hard to work on?

Sheesh, I paid $100 canadian to have mine cleaned and re-cored, and he even painted it for me.

Shop around, don't get screwed over for somethin cheap...

A similar issue was brought up a long time ago, and I believe my response was to go to a local radiator shop and ask them for a CSF ( cooling systems & flexibles) radiator. I bought one for my SC at the time, all metal, tanks included, and it had a lifetime warranty. Brand new, I spent a total of 180 $s. Perfect fit, just watch the return hose. Make sure to get a one with the spring in it so it doesn't collapse under load..Goodluck

There is no rocket science to these rads outside of a soldered on intercooler boot bracket,,,,that's it, It is not horizontal cores, it is exactly the same as any other rad. We had a bunch re-cored here in Toronto using triple core for $240.00 tax in. They are not difficult to remove either....take off the fan shroud, upper and lower rad hose, overflow hose, two bolts on the intercooler. Lift up the boot so it unhooks from the intercooler , two mounting bolts on the rad frame itself and it lifts right out. If you send it in for recore remove the intercooler boot off of the frame before sending it in.

Phil, try the Ford dealer on part number F2SZ-8005-B. This is listed for a 92 auto. trans. car, but will fit pretty much any SC. It has the plastic tanks and aluminum core. This number includes the rubber boot thingy for the intrecooler as well. Up here in the Great White North, that number is about $255 CAN wholesale price, versus $443 for the manual trans. number. I don't have access to Ford U.S. dealer pricing, but usually the prices are similar, so it's worth a call to your local dealer if you can get a break on pricing, or Dan Newman at Five Star Ford ... he gives a price break to SCCoA members.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Just a couple more ideas to ponder. I think radiator.com used to have some for sale at a reasonable price. Also, you are correct on the older Mustang radiators. Somebody on this board (cannot remember who) used an older (late 60's) four core Mustang radiator. It took some modification, but worked fine. I believe it came from a 429 or 428 engined Mustang (forgive me I know little about older Ford products).

Just an FYI - I did some searching on the net and this is what I came up with. You can buy a brand new CSF radiator from www.radiatorstores.com for $225. Get this it is an all metal radiator - no plastic tanks. Or you can call Cliff at 800-638-5939. Shipping is free too. I just ordered one for myself so I figured I would share.

Back