PDA

View Full Version : K-Members

fastsc92
04-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Alright...here's the deal...I'd like to know which of you would be interested in a tubular K. If I'm going to go forward on this, I need to order my materials and get all the plate parts CNC cut before the end of May. Otherwise I'll have to outsource those items and who knows how much that'll cost....

Pricing is probably going to be around $400-$450 depending on the price of materials at the moment. I can probably tackle making 3 more while I'm finishing up my degree, then I'll have more time to crank these out. For now, they will go on a one by one basis.

I'd like to offer it to you guys first mainly because I don't want to deal with shipping these things right now. Once my hand is healed I can finish installing mine and begin work on the others.

ricardoa1
04-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Do I need to say it again :p

fastsc92
04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
ha...ok....

I need to get confirmation on getting the parts cut. After I get the OK, I'll prob. just need a deposit to cover materials.

XR7 Dave
04-23-2009, 06:00 PM
I want one too. Give it to Rico or Mike and they will hand deliver it to me some day. :D

fastsc92
04-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey...this is a NE only deal....:p

just messin with you;)

So far there are zero fittment issues on my car, but I'd like the local guys to be test subjects so I can sort out any issues within other cars or late model birds. I'd like to avoid problems with buyers further away until things get ironed out....however, Dave can be the exception...

Maybe you can chime in and give me tips for producing parts and kits...so far it's been more involved than I originally thought, mainly because I put a lot of thought into this and didn't just slap it together. I got a jig made up, so duplicates should be easier than the first. Maybe we can bring this to email or PM on how you underwent the AR kits and various other items you've offered.

XR7 Dave
04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
I hope to be putting a car together by the end of June so that's my goal.

As for assembling kits - ugh. I will tell you that I bought a lot of parts I never used, in some cases just so I could take advantage of volume discounts on stuff. I will say this, I do think that if this works as well as it seems it will, you'll sell quite a few of them over time.

I'm not the best engineer so I ended up re-designing a lot of things. In fact I'm still redesigning the AR stuff. It's taken a long time for me to get it right. Fortunately for me, my stuff wasn't exactly safety related so I had more leeway than you do on the design aspect of it.

The problem with designing something new is that you just can't know all the things you will run into or the possible problems that will crop up. That's why I like your idea of just making a K-member and using all the stock suspension components on it. Then if something doesn't work or fails, we know that it is the K-member. Basically, you limit your variables.

That was why I built the AR kits the way I did. People always asked me why I didn't "take it all the way" and that is exactly why I didn't. I wasn't trying to re-invent the SC engine, just adapt a better blower to the setup we had to see how it would work. Now that we know how that works, we can better evaluate the possible benefits of other changes or upgrades.

fastsc92
04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Def. good advice. I've def. wasted some time and money just from dumb mistakes here and there (not to mention cutting myself real bad the other day...), but I think I've overcome those issues and can move along in a relatively straight path now.

I took a good amount of time to run the numbers on stresses and so far so good. However, with something like this, there is always a large portion of uncertainty, especially with dynamic loading. Needless to say, I did the best I could until it gets some road time. At least as you said before, I can limit some variables using stock parts although a majority of the weight is in those components.:rolleyes:

I'm sure if the TCCOA guys get wind of this, I'll be swamped. But in all honesty, I'd rather not associate with sales on that site. Just noticing general trends, that site is full of yuppies and I KNOW they'll cause me nothing but grief in the end. At least over here I can feel a little better knowing that potenial buyers are somewhat technically savy.

SCrazy
04-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Me, me, me.....oh,oh......Me, me, me

where do I send the money....

Did you wind up adding a bunch of gussets or did things stay pretty much the way you had it?

My motor is currently out of the car and this is PERFECT timing for me....I'm thinking the motor could be a month before it's ready to go back in.

fastsc92
04-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Currently, I didn't add any gussets. But they may be added in the future....most likely not though.

Let me get the material ordered either today, or next week and go from there.

Some issues that you NE guys will have to deal with however... I made the jig from my 92 k-member so the motor mount positions are slightly different. Recardo is dealing with this by using the early model lower brackets on his chuck mounts. Until I get ahold of a late model k-member, they'll continue to be made this way....or I could just leave them unwelded.

Even if the timing isn't right Brian, it's a snap to install with the motor in the car. That's how my car has been for the last few months. I just supported the engine from below under the oil pan and tranny and lowered the stock stuff down.

I'll try to snap some pics when I head home. The semester is ending, my research is ramping up, school has me by the b@lls right now so it's tough to get done personal projects.

XxSlowpokexX
04-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm interested. Of course I have a 94..

I just dont know if moving the motor will effect any clearences..Ill keep an eye out for a 93-95 k member locally

SCrazy
04-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm not worried about the motor mounts or the timing, both very minor hurtles.

I'm really looking forward to be a part of this.

talonhead
05-26-2009, 08:03 PM
I have a 93 is the K the same as a 92? So far most replacement parts have fit, but some have been different or location is slightly different from '92s and some '93's. (My OEM exhaust was V8 parts)
MikeH