new codes after new 73mm MAF

94sc500

So I installed new headgaskets and while it was apart I installed a 73 MM C&L MAF with the stock size tube for my stock injectors and i used my old electric sensor out of the stock MAF. When i got it all back together and fixed all the vaccume leaks It runs pretty good now, but the check engine light comes on when you get on it a little, then it will go back off in a minute or two.

The CEL codes i get with the engine off and key on are:

181 C Adaptive fuel rich limit reached at part throttle, system lean, right side
185 C Mass Air Flow lower than expected
189 C Adaptive fuel rich limit reached at part throttle, system lean, left side
211 C Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) circuit fault

I didn't think it was the oxygen sensors but with 200k on the car i figured i should go ahead and replace them, but of course it wasn't them it never is.

So my question... is this normal for a C&L MAF I understand our MAFs and EECs are complex but i don't think this would cause it too run so lean that it would throw codes.

I installed a 70mm bbk throttle body at the same time as the maf but i don't think that is the problem either

If i only had the stock MAF to swap it back in... NOTE-never give old parts away

my 76 c@l made mine run pig rich. This was without the tune.
Dalke tuned it for me and works wonderfully.
make sure you have correct sample tube.

If you are getting the MAF lower than expected it's more than just a tune, something is wrong, especially if you are using stock injectors. Make sure your MAF is clean first. Make sure you have the tube that runs from between the MAF and the throttle body over to the drivers side valve cover. Check for vacuum leaks as well...and like was said, double check for the right sample tube...

wow i feel like an idiot that is all it was (hose came off the intake tube) to make things worse i have been trying to figure this out for about 2 months now... duh

my 76 c@l made mine run pig rich. This was without the tune.
Dalke tuned it for me and works wonderfully.
make sure you have correct sample tube.

FYI I happened to talk with an engineer from C&L yesterday about the correct sampling tube for 50s He mentioned (Among other things) that running a conical filter will make a 16% difference in AFR over a stock air box and for injectors over 42#s a tune is mandatory.

wow i feel like an idiot that is all it was (hose came off the intake tube) to make things worse i have been trying to figure this out for about 2 months now... duh

Ha...Don't worry about...Been there done that...I actually started taking a bunch of parts back off the car to try to solve my problem. My hose came off at the valve cover...

FYI I happened to talk with an engineer from C&L yesterday about the correct sampling tube for 50s He mentioned (Among other things) that running a conical filter will make a 16% difference in AFR over a stock air box and for injectors over 42#s a tune is mandatory.

Even with 42's, you really should get a tune. The load calculations that determine spark and fuel demand are so skewed by that point your losing alot of power and increasing the possibility of detonation because of spark being off. Adaptive strategy can take care of the fuel for the most part, but there is no adaptive applied to spark.

Fraser

Back