Solid tensioner????

ThunderDave

I've read posts of people that have had problems with sc belt slippage and or a weak and worn tensioner that gives more than keeps tension. Less than favorable conditions for reaching full boost. Has anyone ever worked on trying to come up with a way that the tensioner didn't back off any? Kind of like the slide adjustments used on late models with V-belts. Full tension at all times, doesn't seem like such a bad plan imo.

Anyway, it crossed my mind and thought I'd offer it up for discussion.

I've read posts of people that have had problems with sc belt slippage and or a weak and worn tensioner that gives more than keeps tension. Less than favorable conditions for reaching full boost. Has anyone ever worked on trying to come up with a way that the tensioner didn't back off any? Kind of like the slide adjustments used on late models with V-belts. Full tension at all times, doesn't seem like such a bad plan imo.

Anyway, it crossed my mind and thought I'd offer it up for discussion.

The problem is two fold...

1. Keep max tension on the belt to prevent slippage
2. Maintain max tension when belt stretches to prevent slippage.

The fixed tensioner would provide plenty of tension, until the belt stretches under a load, then it would get slack and start slipping. The problem is that the supercharger belt has to transmit 65 HP on a stock SC and well over a 100 HP on a heavily overdriven one. There are also considerations to be taken concerning excessive side loading of the crank and the supercharger snout.

David

Back