Makeshift cowl induction

Tony8470

I was thinking. On my old car there were holes for the air to exit through towards the windshield (cervinis hood). I took the fireblanket off my hood and I see there are holes in the frame of the hood to let air through. If I were to drill some holes in the sheet metal behind the cowl seal. Anyone else done this? I was reading some owners of the magnum powers FMIC have engine cooling issues. Maybe this could remedy it? Maybe take a holesaw and dril some 3/4" holes every 6" or so? I dont want to take too much structural stability from it.

Well....if the intent is to increase airflow though the engine bay opening hole at the base of the windshield isn't going to cut it. That area is actually a high pressure area and on functional cowl induction was used to force air into the carb but even that was with a seal between the carb base and the open area of the hood.

You would do better with holes in the forward part of the hood behind the radiator area but it would like like many ricers then. Hood louvers would do the same thing depending on their placement.

Well....if the intent is to increase airflow though the engine bay opening hole at the base of the windshield isn't going to cut it. That area is actually a high pressure area and on functional cowl induction was used to force air into the carb but even that was with a seal between the carb base and the open area of the hood.

You would do better with holes in the forward part of the hood behine the radiator area but it would liik like many ricers then. Hood louvers would do the same thing depending on their placement.

What about louvers right above the S/C? Do you think that would be a good place for them?

Hard to say where the best points might be. You could do some experimentation and see where the most laminar flow is along the hood. Could be done with a series of "tuffs" of yarn taped at one end to the hood. Drive the car and see where the tuffs stay pretty straight as opposed to being whipped around. That is where I would place the louvers since by theory the max "suction" would be created as the air flowed over the louvers there.

I"ll give that a shot.

Do you think that I could get the same results using a high speed fan?

Back