Tranny, AR, MPIC, .....My Thoughts

XxSlowpokexX

Well I finally got my newly rebuilt transmission in along with the centerforce DF clutch. Compared to my original SPEC I clutch (hard as rock) I feel like I have no clutch at all! Now compared to my most recent SPEC III clutch the pedal is a bit softer. There is however no chadder and the CF engages rather smoothly, unlike the Spec III which was on and off. The brass synchros may be a little notchy but dont feel bad at all. Overall happy but the sissy clutch pedal with have some getting use to haha

Now onto bigger and better??? Things.

The SC Unlimited AR kit (One of the later kits I believe)

I’m sure someone may expect me to bash this. But I’m not. Just give my unbiased opinion. Installation was very straightforward. I didn’t get my lower intake back from the shop yet so I modified mine while still in the car. (Actually Miller did as he has a way of fitting in places a guy my size just cant). The fact that you can grind the intake while still in the car is only a plus which can save an oil change, gaskets, extra labor and potential broken intake bolts.

85MM MP TB fit fine and if anything was put in a location that actually fits better then the MPII inlet as my Intake tube fits that much better now. The modified fuel rail fit great and no fuel injector leaks (Cant say I like the way the injectors fit however).

I’d say installation of the AR is like a 2 out of 10. Almost like bolting on a set of valve covers.

Issues. (There just had to be some)

Top location. I mean the top is just sssoooooo close to fitting with a stock IC tube….But So Close isn’t good enough. The only reason I see the top being positioned where it was is because of the use of a pre-existing hole. I think a countersunk fastener in the aluminum adapter plate and repositioning of the top to use factory located IC tube would be great. Just an added detail. That or perhaps offer a modified top for use with the kit. I almost cried when I had to cut that shiny MP upper IC tube to fit.

Top mounting. The supplied bolts for the top are just not the correct size. Just another detail. Nothing a few washers couldn’t handle however.

Oil blowby reservoir. It kinda interferes with the IAC valve…Well it does actually. Same deal. It can be easily fixed with a few washers.

Besides a bunch of washers all seems well. The washers do detract however from the overall look of the installation and I’ll be sourcing the proper length bolts or spacers if needed in the future to make it look clean. Overall I’d rate the kit pretty complete and well thought out except for the few minor issues. About time I actually installed one of these things.

MP Front Mount.

OK. WHAT A PITA! I realize this kit will never ever be modified by MP but I’d have a few suggestions if it ever were.

#1 I guess its nice that this IC is made to work with the factory radiator. But I really had to ask myself. “Why would someone spend $1,000 plus for an IC and not want or feel the need to get a nice new aluminum radiator.” The MP FM only needs a generic type radiator to work with it. I have seen aluminum ones in the right size and configuration for us at under $200. Take that rad, weld on some brackets to mount to the MP IC and then weld on some tabs for the fan shroud and it would be golden. No wondering where to position the radiator, no wonder where to position the fan. It would all be set!

A couple of screws here and there, a few pieces of aluminum, and much trial and error…It was done. (plus a few anger management breaks)

#2 The J bent for the outlet of the IC…..WHY CHARLES WHY!!!...I drove myself batty for awhile trying to get that together. (and a few more anger management breaks)

#3 30 degree bend!!!!!....Well I guess this wouldn’t of been a problem except that Damon has no idea where the couplers went! $114 later I had 5 new ones!........But one was a 45 and you cant get a 30 anywhere. So what I did was cut the 45 degree bend into a 30 and wallaaa…No problems.

Overall once all issues were sorted out it kinda all falls together. I however wouldn’t call this job for someone that is faint of heart. Sure a supplied radiator would bring up the price of admission but I think anyone wanting one of these should have an upgraded radiator regardless. That really is my biggest gripe. Otherwise it’s a really nice piece.

So now everything is back together……I go to load up my SCT software to put together a base tune. AND AGAIN IT ISNT FREAKING WORKING!!!!!!!!(this always happens when I need to use it most)

Soooo I took the chip out of Millers car….Threw it in mine…Pulled it out of the garage (ran pretty bad with his chip) and said FUSC! (Dam this thing is loud with all the whistling going on.)

Once home and found out what was wrong with the SCT software. For some reason my computer was blocking it. Once fixed , I threw together a few base tunes to try out….And tonight Ill be back to get my car home

This Saturday Jerry W will be tuning it. Hopefully it kicks some butt

ANYWAYS many thanks to Miller. Hopefully I can give a worth while update next week.

Damon,

I agree that "J" tube connection is a real pain. I think the only reason for that nonsense was to reduce production costs by using the same casting on both sides of the core. Aside from that, I don't have any gripes about the MP FMIC.

David

Not enjoying untill I get it tuned properly. I'll admit though driving the car with a light clutch is much nicer regardless of anything else. I'm thinking though when I redo my heads and put on my powdercoated stuff that Ill get that MP style condensor. That will give a nice airflow gain to part of thw IC and rad

I think you will be more then pleased with the results. Looking forward to hearing how it fares after Saturday.

And then you can bring it around some Tuesday night so I can see it ;)
Just think, in another couple of weeks maybe we can bring four SC's to the local meet. That would turn a few heads.

Ira

Ira,

Maybe we can do Bellmore one friday. All I can say for sure is I'll never buy another race clutch for an SC again :O) Also I kinda like the whole look m90 look underhood though. Looks nicer IMO..Guess i'll see how it fares show wise though!

Ira,

Maybe we can do Bellmore one friday. All I can say for sure is I'll never buy another race clutch for an SC again :O) Also I kinda like the whole look m90 look underhood though. Looks nicer IMO..Guess i'll see how it fares show wise though!

Come to the local meet on Tue behind the flee market on the turnpike (opposite Miller's in Levittown). Lots of cool cars there for a few more weeks before everyone starts heading to Oyster Bay and it's on a night that I can actually stay out :p

Ira

The SC Unlimited AR kit (One of the later kits I believe)

Oil blowby reservoir. It kinda interferes with the IAC valve…Well it does actually. Same deal. It can be easily fixed with a few washers.

Later meaning older, perhaps gen 1 or 2? The reservoir didn't show up with the newer (later?) kit.

Dave of course I did. It wasnt noisy as in "Oh my God Im dying here." Its just that I am going from stock IC tubes to the MP setup. Its overall just a bit louder.

Having a bit of an idle issue and semi hard start. Not sure what it is. I raised the idle via sct to around 900 and that helps(had to do that before due to the cam) but tip in throttle from idle seems slow to respond and I seem to need to open the throttle a bit to get her started. Same TB I had on before the swap. I really just did injectors, MPIC and the AR. Now driving around town or on teh highway is fine. Its just when you stop..It may shut down..Seems though its staying on since the idle was raised but it isnt quit right. I do feel what amounts to a loss of torque down low but on the highway it fels pretty dam good. I havent slammed the gas due to no real tune however my wideband wasnt saying im in trouble. If anything it almost seems to load up or run rich downstairs.

Getting it tuned saturday but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Car idled fine before the AR MP 60lb inj swap. Boost sees about 17 and vacuum seems ok...Think I could have routed a vacuum line worng?

Ill post some pics tomorrow.

Well see after Saturday just how happy I may be

With regard to the mpfmic. I've learned on the outlet to never unbolt the upper tube from the SC top. Just take the sc top off and unbolt the tube from the intercooler. On the lower tube I can unbolt from the inlet and from the intercooler, pull it out and install it as one piece which is nice. You'll be able to change all your plugs from the top side without much problem now. Very nice upgrade. Maybe you know that already.

I just don't want anyone to accidentally destroy their blower (even you. :p).

Did you upload 60lb injector data into your tune? I'm assuming you must have, but if not then that would explain why you are having issues.

Yes I uploaded the 60lb data and the 90 LMAF data for an EEC IV...Just isnt right..I wil poke around engine to see if I mussed anything up...Also thinking of doing a plug swap before I go to Jerry just in case thats an issue..Also going to close up the gap to avoid that as being an issue when tuning

Taking her for another long trip now...Just to break stuff in..Just in case again

Yes I uploaded the 60lb data and the 90 LMAF data for an EEC IV...Just isnt right..I wil poke around engine to see if I mussed anything up...Also thinking of doing a plug swap before I go to Jerry just in case thats an issue..Also going to close up the gap to avoid that as being an issue when tuning

Taking her for another long trip now...Just to break stuff in..Just in case again

Some of SCT's data is just plain wrong in respect to those files.

Well I stared at my car real hard today..called it a sob and what do you know...it idles fine....

Temp seems to be in the middle now which it has never been.....bleeding of the coolant system seems to be a pia for some reason...not sure its 100 percent...and I'm getting an on again off again check engine light.....otherwise no pipes blowing off and all seems well....

Currently getting my resonator fixed...the weld let loose and its vibrating like a mofo...we will seeee

I'm sure its not right..I had an issue starting again..Almost like it loads up. Liek I said I need to open the throttle a lil when this happens to start

Im going to pull codes and see what I get....Its starting fine now..again..But perhaps a sensor is bad or something

I'm sure its not right..I had an issue starting again..Almost like it loads up. Liek I said I need to open the throttle a lil when this happens to start

Im going to pull codes and see what I get....Its starting fine now..again..But perhaps a sensor is bad or something

Couple of things. If you are going to Levittown tonight let me know and I will show up. I'm only a few minutes away so I don't need much lead time.

Two, L-90 MAF? We've had this conversation oh, about 100 times but I am more then happy to have it again when I see you. Might even be affecting the idle.

Unhappy idling is not necessarily a bad thing here. Without hearing the car I can't tell but I will say that now that you have the AR it could just be the cam.

Is the computer for a manual or 5 speed?

If you bring the car tonight we can go over it all. Bring the software too. :rolleyes: I'll channel DD for you ;)

Oh and bring the Saab King. I haven't heard him whine about his SC in a while now ;) :D

Ira

Last edited:

With 60lb injectors, there is much less room for error. A lot of fuel can be flowed if the pulse width is off a bit. A little misfire or a rough plug could leave quite a bit of extra fuel in a cylinder.

Back