Knock sensor shield

pablon2

Is the purpose of this shield to protect the sensor from breakage during engine R&R or is it more of a heat shield from the header/manifold or both? I forgot to put it back on when installing the engine. Doing a 'risk analysis' to determine if I should take the time to put it back on. I don't really want to pull the plug in the block for fear of not getting off all the old Permatex 2B from the block threads and then end up not having as good of a seal as I have now.

Last edited:
I did the same thing when i had my motor out. Easy to forget that thing! just put it back on wont take you 10 minutes! easy fix! just be careful to not burn yourself on the exhaust manifold like i did :)

Well, I installed the shield. Broke the knock sensor in the process. The 30mm socket slipped off the sensor when it 'broke loose' and snapped the plastic connector at its base. Luckily I have 3 spares. Sucks to break a discontinued part though. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, I installed the shield. Broke the knock sensor in the process. The 30mm socket slipped off the sensor when it 'broke loose' and snapped the plastic connector at its base. Luckily I have 3 spares. Sucks to break a discontinued part though. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You got it done though;)

Ken

Don't feel too bad, I install the guard upside down while my new motor was still on the stand. Then when I went to remove it to correct the problem, the knock sensor snapped off inside the big retaining bolt :eek:

David

All you need is a 94/95 sc with forged pistons and you can eliminate the knock sensor..........................:D

At least that's what DD told me, it's useless in my case............:rolleyes:

What difference does the year make?

Dave explained to me that the knock sensors on the 94/95's are much more sensitve than the early models and when using forged pistons which are noisier than stock pistons they would then trigger the knock sensor to pull timing. He told to tell my tuner to turn it off through the tune/chip since it was useless. Maybe he'll chime in with his "complete" explanation.

Back