n/a 3.8 question(heads)

92sclikenew

ok my dad has a 3.8 n/a bird

well i have a set of my sc heads and offered them to him to install on the car since he thinks he has a cracked head.

anyways i told him i know they will bolt on. he is worried about the heads causing his motor to have lower compression since the heads might have a different design.

thanks!

Don't worry..the heads are the same..the only difference is the s/c heads have better coolant passages. The head bolts are the same, the head gaskets are the same. You can basically put any 3.8 head onto any 3.8 block and it will work..

the combustion chambers of the n.a and s/c heads are the same.

Don't worry..the heads are the same..the only difference is the s/c heads have better coolant passages. The head bolts are the same, the head gaskets are the same. You can basically put any 3.8 head onto any 3.8 block and it will work..

the combustion chambers of the n.a and s/c heads are the same.

thanks! dumb short message crap! lol:rolleyes:

The heads are not the same,you are right about the better cooling and gaskets being similar,but most sc gaskets are specific as are most engine parts.
The ports are bigger on the sc as the heads flow better.
The combustion chambers may be different due to compression differences in the two engines.
3.8L n/a and s/c share almost no parts in common,just because the displacement is the same does not mean they are the same engine.
Differences are:block,crank,rods,pistons,heads,intake,exaust manifolds,timing chain cover etc etc.
The 3.8L heads will bolt to the n/a block but(if the intake lines up)there will definetley be a step down from the factory n/a intake(in the port) to the sc head ports as they will be larger than the intake.

so not to say any one is wrong what is right. im sure i seen somewhere some one used sc heads on a n/a block.. i know it is specific for when running boost but am unsure about no boost.

so not to say any one is wrong what is right. im sure i seen somewhere some one used sc heads on a n/a block.. i know it is specific for when running boost but am unsure about no boost.

I had a set on my 95 NA Mustang block, when I installed them I used SC head gaskets. As SCXR7 stated "the combustion chambers of the n.a and s/c heads are the same. "

I had a set on my 95 NA Mustang block, when I installed them I used SC head gaskets. As SCXR7 stated "the combustion chambers of the n.a and s/c heads are the same. "

ok i hope so he would be mad to get it together and it run like crap because it has to low of compression.

Back