Who has a high stall 9.5" AOD Converter?

Thomas A

Just wondering who out there is running a 9.5" converter with 3000ish stall in their AOD SC's? I just installed one last night in my XR7 (with 3.73 gears) and I'm not so sure about it. I have only drove a few miles since the install, but it seems like an awful lot of stall to me.

I also installed a Lentech Valvebody, and with the slipping of the converter, I can't even feel the car shift form one gear to the next. When ever I push the gas, or the car is under load (going up a hill), the rpm's instantly jump to 3000-3200. It seems like it takes a lot of effort when trying to gently cruise up to highway speed. It does take off like crazy when you get into the gas hard, but seems incredibly sloppy and lazy under normal acceleration. Is this just something that I will get used to with time?

Also, I'm concerned about heat. I have a B&M plate cooler mounted up front with good air flow. Do you think that will be enough?

Thomas

I'm running an 8.5" (I think) converter from DirtyD0g and it stalls somewhere near 3200-3600 rpm. I definitely don't daily drive mine, but I do drive it to work ocassionally in rush hour traffic. On hills it's exactly as you described. It took a while to get used to driving with the converter, but I really love it. It definitely leaves hard and shifts relatively softly (as compared to a lower stall).

As for cooling I have a big plate&frame Seatrab cooler with twin 6" fans mounted in my fender. While cruising at highway speeds the temp is fine. I do start to get into a little bit of trouble if in heavy traffic and the outside temp is above about 80-85°F.

I'd try it for a while...I think it will grow on you.

Last edited:
Thomas,

I've got a Lentech 9.5" 2800-3000 stall and it's pretty much like you described. Shifts a little harder after tansmission fluid warms up. Shifts much harder if shifted manually. You get used to it after a while.

I'm using a pair of B&M stack plate coolers bolted back to back and plumbed in series with an 850 CFM fan running constantly. Trans temp usually stays between 150 and 180 (measured at the pan).

David

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I am in good company here :D

Yeah, I really haven't drove it hardly at all since getting it back together. I am relieved to hear that what I am experiencing is at least normal for this type of converter. The car is far from a daily driver, so it will take some time to get used to it.

I think I will look into adding a fan to my current trans cooler.

Thomas

Anthony Arnold has one but he has the two piece input shaft so its only loose as a goose in first and second, which doean't last long with 4.10 gears and then its in third and fine...............dan

I'm still running a 2 piece input shaft, and it seems to be loose all the time? :confused:

Thomas

Thomas,

I'm still running dual shafts on my 91 (hardened inner) but using a special Lentech converter that doesn't have the inner shaft spline welded directly to the converter case like Dan is describing.

Instead it's attached to the turbine or whatever it's called...just like the 1-2 outer shaft. Slippy in every gear..but not really all that noticable at cruising speeds, turning 2600-2800 rpms with 3.73s to go 70-75 mph.

David

I got a non locking 2200 RPM stall converter AOD. It is OK but after some discussion with DD I'm swapping my AOD out this summer. I'll be unloading my Lentech.

At a minimum right now a simple 5 speed swap. If money allows I may pursue the T56 6 speed. :) The AOD is just unsuitable for the area I live in now.

Back