PDA

View Full Version : Tail pipe smoke

Dahoopd
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Just wondering what the smoke might be coming from my tailpipe. I know its not the head gaskets. I cant tell what color is as I only see it at night in the headlights behind me when I am getting on the car hard.

When I did the head gaskets I had the heads done by a machine shop. Someone told me it was because the car is running rich. I dont think thats it as it has done it since day one from the head gasket job and without any mods.

Any ideas? Its nice to get the jump and pull on someone but with the 007 smoke screen, its embarrassing.

ricardoa1
04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
My car does it or did it I have not noticed it this year. Turning off the Knock sensor helped. Its a tuning issue most likely. Running rich if its black. If its blue white then you are burning oil.

TinManSC92
04-29-2009, 10:53 PM
have you ever had your harmonic bal. changed? mine did that for about a week before the bolt sheared off. never occurred to me to check that when i was searching around.

TinManSC92
04-29-2009, 10:54 PM
and it was rich black smoke under heavy accel.

David Neibert
04-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Just wondering what the smoke might be coming from my tailpipe. I know its not the head gaskets. I cant tell what color is as I only see it at night in the headlights behind me when I am getting on the car hard.

When I did the head gaskets I had the heads done by a machine shop. Someone told me it was because the car is running rich. I dont think thats it as it has done it since day one from the head gasket job and without any mods.

Any ideas? Its nice to get the jump and pull on someone but with the 007 smoke screen, its embarrassing.

It's normal to get some fuel smoke at WOT, and my 91 has done that ever since I've owned it. BTW, It always looks worse at night with the headlights hitting it.

David

birds4us
05-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I agree with David.

fturner
05-02-2009, 04:12 PM
At WOT on your car without a chip is commanding an AFR of around 9.5 so even if its not reaching it and getting 10 cause your out of injector your running very darn rich :eek:. Smoke generator right there.

We typically would targer about 11.7.

Fraser

hawgy
12-14-2010, 11:01 PM
well a little rich is ok opposed to running to lean KABOOM!!!:eek:

Mike8675309
12-15-2010, 10:10 AM
In addition, difference in air temperature can cause condensation to occur in the exhaust pipes when you are just cruising around causing water to collect in low spots or in the mufflers. When you increase the engine rpms, the increase in exhaust velocity picks up this water and can create a fog as well.