Preping tires for the track

kenewagner

I know there have been some threads in the past on preping tires for the track but cant seem to find one. Would like to clean up my Drag radials from last year as I am planning on using them this weekend.

Ken

I know there have been some threads in the past on preping tires for the track but cant seem to find one. Would like to clean up my Drag radials from last year as I am planning on using them this weekend.

Ken

do some good fat burnouts with them you should be good!:p

sorry no help im not sure but that would be nice to have a video of:p

There was a thread done by Jim McDemmit I beleive on prepping, or cleaning the tires prior to racing. Cant find it through the search function. Sometimes the search covers to large an area or requires just the right verbage to get you what you want. Guess Ill burn em good to get them cleaned off:D

Ken

There was a thread done by Jim McDemmit I beleive on prepping, or cleaning the tires prior to racing. Cant find it through the search function. Sometimes the search covers to large an area or requires just the right verbage to get you what you want. Guess Ill burn em good to get them cleaned off:D

Ken

That thread was a virtual cut and paste that from another article on the web. I tried searching for the thread, but he was the king of creating new threads (almost 250 new threads in 2008 alone) and I couldn't find it either.

your first pass, do a good long smoky burnout and it should be good to go

Ditto.

Ken,

I don't do anything except air up the tires then after getting them mounted on the car, I lower the pressure to around 18 psi and do a good burnout. Before making the next pass you may need to lower the pressure again because the heat from racing will usually increase it a few pounds.

If they spin at 18...drop to 17...then 16 ect. I wouldn't go below 14 but some of the other guys around here might.

David

Last edited:
Ditto.

Ken,

I don't do anything except air up the tires then after getting them mounted on the car, I lower the pressure to around 18 psi and do a good burnout. Before making the next pass you may need to lower the pressure again because the heat from racing will usually increase it a few pounds.

If they spin at 18...drop to 17...then 16 ect. I wouldn't go below 14 but some of the other guys around here might.

David

Sounds like good advice:D

Ken

Ken,

If at the track, see if you can talk to Mike Albee. He has good tips on a good burnout for the track conditions. The basic has been pull through the water box and stop where the track official tells you to stop. If you have to wait a while, I'd back up and pull forward again before a burnout. Otherwise, when he gives the high sign, bring RPM's up to about 3500/4000 and count to 5. one onethousand, two onethousand... and so on. After 5, you should have a nice warm tire.

Right at the beginning of this video you can see that's what about both of us did. .25 seconds in. Even better, 1.15 into it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6vkiFAnvU

Last edited:
The biggest thing that helped me was being told to wait until I saw tire smoke in the rear-view mirror. Of course in some cases that may be longer than needed.

Sounds like good advice:D

Ken

Ken,

One more thing. According to guys like Chris Wise (who I usually listen to), a good burnout with an AOD is spinning the tires in 1st, then 2nd and finally to around 5500 rpms in 3rd and being able to see a big cloud of tire smoke in the rear view mirror.

I usually do the 1st and 2nd gear thing to about 6000 rpms in each gear and if I'm seeing a decent amount of smoke I let off the brake and goose it a little harder burning the tires for another 10 or 15 feet out of the water box.

David

Burn outs were no problem yesterday. I smoked them good. One member thought I was going to do a John Force burnout. Tires were clean and hot

Ken

Burn outs were no problem yesterday. I smoked them good. One member thought I was going to do a John Force burnout. Tires were clean and hot

Ken

Ken wasn't being GREEN yesterday, his car disappeared from view more than once. The first time we raced he enveloped me in so much smoke I had to wait to start my burnout because I couldn't see where I was on the track.

Ken wasn't being GREEN yesterday, his car disappeared from view more than once. The first time we raced he enveloped me in so much smoke I had to wait to start my burnout because I couldn't see where I was on the track.

Hope someone got a picture of that:D I would love to send it in for the SC of the month. They dont show many SCs doing burnouts:D

Ken

Back