Double Intercooler, is it worth it?

89SCBoosted

for 499.00 + duty and shipping to Canada, is the factory style double inter cooler worth the order? it claims to only flow 350cfm? as the stock flows 250cfm if im correct. are the gains from it worth it? Some opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Double ic

Is this ken's or someone else's? It all is up to you i think. It will flow less than 50% more than stock. Other options are buying the mp fmic which isn't cheap or making your own front mount. The front mount would be alot better. Depends on what you can do or pay for.

Look in the for sale section and pick up a double i/c made by Kenewagner, he makes the best ones around and they have a proven track record with the folks around here. There's one for sale now from another member:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106678

There have been sc's with up to 400 rwhp using a double i/c so i'd say they work. It's a direct bolt-on and along with free flowing exhaust will allow you to overdrive the blower for more boost but still remove some of the heat in the air charge going into your motor. A cooler, denser air charge being fed into the motor will help out alot.

Last edited:
for 499.00 + duty and shipping to Canada, is the factory style double inter cooler worth the order? it claims to only flow 350cfm? as the stock flows 250cfm if im correct. are the gains from it worth it? Some opinions would be greatly appreciated...

How handy are you? Can you have your car down for a few weeks?

You could build your own FMIC for that much if you are handy and have the time to have your car down and apart. How good do you want it to look? (Usually takes more time)

If you aren't handy or can't have the car down for more than a weekend a double IC with fan or MPFMIC would be the best route.

Double IC's are one quite a few cars making more than 350 hp including Mercutio who road races his car.

I bought a Kene Wagner DIC. I live in fl where it gets real HOT! She ran like a charm w/ 10% OD. Great product!:D

Stephen

I am curious as to which product you are looking at. Could you post a link on this?

i could certainly build up piece by piece a front mount setup, but i was leaning towards keeping factory pieces and locations, i live in vancouver B.C.

I would also suggest going with a fan and shroud for a double intercooler. I have a spare shroud I made up that works well with Ken's DIC's, if you want. I'm in New West. I went to a '88 Bronco II condensor as well. The other thing is that you'll probably want to order teflon gaskets from Tinknocker because the tape is a PIA.

i've always just used rtv and never had boost leaks thus far, the one i've been eyeing up is the one on spinning wheels site, i just bought the bhj balancer off them and the service was prompt, took less than 10 days at normal shipping. I've also removed my a/c already, Dont need it here with our climate.

Back