Driveshaft Issue

Thomas A

I'm trying to track down a vibration issue after installing a new torque converter and transmission, and there seems to be a problem with the drive shaft. I checked to see that the rear bolts were tight, and thought I'd pull them out and rotate the drive shaft flange to see if that helped my vibration issue. I removed all the flange bolts, but the drive shaft will not budge. It is wedged very tightly against the pinion flange on the rear carrier. What would be the cause of this??

Thomas

There should be room to move the driveshaft forward into the transmission.

Lightly tap it with a hammer to break it loose, it could just be stuck.

You could also loosen the 4 bolts to the differential to give you the needed room to do this.

On a side note: A small vibration isn't enough of an excuse to avoid coming to Iowa this weekend. :)

There better be enough clearance to remove it from the tranny. Piss on that "lightly tap" crap, get a bfh and way-lay into it at the flange. That is a good start to finding the vibration. What gear/speed is it? Are you sure you did not throw a wheel weight?

SWS

I don't know Duane, might have to bring the car down and put it on your "special dyno" to find out. :eek: :p

I have just never had a drive shaft be that tight in a car before. On my 4R70Ws, it almost falls off when you remove the bolts. This one had enough room to drop back before, and now seems extremely tight.

I took some bolts out, put them back in, wiggled on the exhaust a bit, and now the vibration is pretty much all gone. So.... I don't know. I'll be taking the car on a road trip today, so we'll have to see what happens.

Thomas

The flange usually has a circular ridge that helps to locate the mating flange. With corrosion, this can end up being quite an interference fit. I've had to use pry bars (no room to swing anything) to pull such apart in the past.

Well, that's what is odd, because I just had the drive shaft off a few days before and had no issues removing it. Oh well, I do not need to remove it currently, so I will worry about it later. :D

Thomas

Back