Squeaking in gear -- anyone else?

pengil2k

I've got a '95 5sp that squeaks/chirps when in gear at low RPM's (think driving into a parking structure slow) to, I don't know....2000 rpm or so. I took it into my local shop and they told me that it was the rear seal on the 5sp trans, (extension housing oil seal) I believe, where the slip yoke connects the driveshaft to the trans. They told me that the put some lubricant on the seal and that the squeak went away, which it did. They also said that it would probably come back, which it did 4 days later. My question is, has anyone else experienced this?

I kinda figured that the seal must be getting old and perhaps not as supple as it once was, but I've never heard of an oil seal causing a "squeak" or being able to "lubricate" one thereby causing the squeak to go away for a few days. I've dropped a driveshaft on a T'bird before and really don't feel like doing it again if I don't have to, or doing it, replacing the seal and then finding out, nope, that wasn't it.

So...this is just me then...

Not that being an individual is all that bad....but I thought someone else might have done this before me.

Back