Is it safe to re-use this oil pan?

MadMikeyL

SCCoA Member
oilpan.jpg

The motor mounts were shot, and I guess the vibrations caused the K-member to wear through a section of the oil pan. This one isn't broken through at all, but I don't know if I should bother using it, or just get another one. This is the second one too. The one that was originally on this engine that I'm rebuilding was actually cracked all the way through, so I know that one is junk. This one isn't all the way through, but it is worn down. I still have the one on the original motor, which is still in the car, and I have no idea what that one looks like. I also have another motor in another car that I could pull out and see how that one looks. What do you people think, would this be OK to put back in, or should I junk it and hope one of my other ones is still good?

Yes, but should I be worried about it? Or is this something that happens to all of them?

its somthing that happens to alot of the sc's when the motor mounts go bad. like he said if your worried about it replace it or repair it!

if the mount breaks again it might break that pan so if it was mine i would repair it or replace it and feel good about it.:rolleyes:

When the motor mounts wear out, they will sag, letting the engine rub on all sorts of things, namely the power steering lines. I would check them as well. Much easier to replace with the engine out than in.

if you're really concerned have it welded at a weldingshop, they'll fill it and grind it flush again. Probably 20-30 bucks to fix.

OK, I'll see if I can find a place to weld it up for me. The motor mounts are good in the car this is going in. I replaced both of them probably about 6 months before the motor blew, so hopefully they will last for at least a while.

Back