mix and match help

scxr7

Okay well like some of you know, I've been looking for a motor. Well I was looking for a rebuild kit, and I had an idea pop into my head. Can I get a n/a engine. and simply put the 1994 s/c rods and pistons in it? I'm not sure how far off the balance would be. that might be a problem. but as far as Rod journal diameter. it should be the same between n.a and s/c. balancing isn't expensive at all..so if it comes down to it..I can just do that, and it will be basically the same as a s/c motor. except for the material the block is made out of.

Hey I picked up a Haynes manual, The rod journal diameters are the same between s/c and n/a engines. I'll just put s/c rods into a n/a engine, and I'll be all set.

the rod journal diameters are:

2.3103 to 2.3111 inches
out of round limit....0.0003 inch

The crank that is in an SC motor is forged, and will not fit into an N/A block because of the #4 journal.

The crank that is in an N/A motor is not forged and probably would not last long in a blown setup. This crank will also not fit into an SC block.

I think there is a balancing difference between the 2 as well that requires different HB's.

Fraser

yes I know the crank main journals are different. But all I was interested in was the rod journal diameters. Nobody that I know of or heard of has broken a natually aspirated crankshaft. usually the rods/pistons go first. if not, the block will.

of course balancing will be off if i put s/c rods and pistons on a n/a crank, but that is a cheap fix. 100 bucks for the balancing, some new bearings and its good to go.

So why would you go through all of the trouble if the block may explode? Sounds like you answered your own question, but are going to do it anyway.

the block is stable up to 600whp I believe? maybe a little more. I'm not going to get anywhere near those numbers.. Its really not a lot of work. I'm still talking with this guy about getting a 2001 motor and trans.. I'll have to take the heads off anyways to convert it back to single port. while the heads are off, I can simply turn the motor over, remove the oil pan, remove the rods and pistons, and replace them with s/c rods and pistons. I already have the pistons and rods from a previous motor.

I guess I should keep my new setup ideas to myself. Nobody seems to understand what I'm trying to get at.

you know whats odd. I'm cheap in all the wrong places. I spent $1,860 on a supercharger and related components. but when it comes to the motor, I'll put used rods and pistons in there to try and save a few bucks. lol.

I'd rather put a powerful motor into a car with no suspension upgrades to get the power to the ground, than to build up the suspension first. but hey, I'm sure most other people are like that too. ;)

I spent $1,860 on a supercharger and related components. but when it comes to the motor, I'll put used rods and pistons in there to try and save a few bucks. lol.

I'd rather put a powerful motor into a car with no suspension upgrades to get the power to the ground, than to build up the suspension first. but hey, I'm sure most other people are like that too. ;)
Ok I understand what your trying to do. But I don't understand why one would spend 2G's on mods then put together a motor you know your going to break. I would understand if that what was in the car. Use that hole fix it after I break it. But it sounds to me you already have a broke motor so why down grade? At lest stay at you level now. I also understand running used piston and rods. As long as they are in good shape, I don't see it being a problem. New rings and bearings be good to go. But the hole weaker crank. Then spend 100 bucks for the balancing. You could take that 100 buck and buy a Junkyard SC motor. Than have the right block and crank, put your rings and bearings in that and have no worries. Also feel better cuz you didn't have A** you car.

And yes some people build motor. The build the suspension around the motor. Its all in what your trying to do.
Not try to hate your game just trying to give you some other insight.

~James

Back