removing intercooler

95dually

I am building an off road rock crawler and using an 1989 sc engine. In this application the intercooler has little to no effect on my performance. My question is: Iss there someone who knows of a company that makes a pipe to replace where the intercooler was iether at the engine or at the pipes?
Even if you have a suggestion I am listening.

you would just need a u-bend to replace it. i would say weld a pipe with a bead on the top after removing the collar nut, and do the same to the inlet plenum after removing the flange. you could just fit up a u-bendthat pipes directly into the inlet plenum... what i ask is why... those temps will seriously hamper the vehicles performance... unless you plan on a methanol injection setup.

You still should definetley run an intercooler of some sorts with a fan on it to keep it cool.
You air inlet temps will be way to high without one and you will loose quite a bit of power/raise your coolant temps and possibly detonate the engine to the point where it pulls so much timing it won't make good power.
Trust me,run an intercooler the little m90 is a heat pump without it.

I dont have the room for the cooler in the factory location next to the rad. maybe I can relocate it elsewhere. Are there piping kits available to do such a thing and if so what size piping is it?

my friend made a piece to go from the blower to the top of the inlet plenum. It made boost really fast but ran like crap due to the blower heating up the intake air temp so fast and the IAT sensor readings caused the computer to cut back the timing. It still would have probably detonated and blown his engine but he swore up and down that this motor didn't need an intercooler. A week later he put it back on.

I dont have the room for the cooler in the factory location next to the rad. maybe I can relocate it elsewhere. Are there piping kits available to do such a thing and if so what size piping is it?

There are universal intercooler kits on ebay for cheap - that way you can relocate it wherever you want. There's also plenty of cheap intercoolers on there if the stock one looks to hard to fit somewhere.

My uninformed opinion is that you wouldn't have to have an intercooler for a rock crawler though - you want the motor for the low-end torque and will not be running high RPM's very often, right? Since you'll be at low speeds anyway, it doesn't seem like the intercooler would have enough air pass through (without a fan) to even cool the air enough to matter. I would think it would run at least as well as a heat-soaked traffic jammed SC.

snow is a methanol injection system. it shoots a methanol blend into the intake (basically, its tricked out wiper fluid) which in turn cools the intake charge, and adds octane to the blend reducing your chances of detonation and timing retard.

can you be more specific on the snow meth system as to building such a syst or direct me to where to get the info for it?

Back