My car has been a 5speed for 3 days and.....

neverfastenough

It broke the u joint going into the tranny and continued to rip the drive shaft clean in half while going down the highway.

So I take it you didnt put new u-joints in when you did the conversion?

Amateur....you should have taken out the gear set or tail shaft with it!:eek:

I'll trade you a 5 speed driveshaft for a good used rear bumper cover:D

Unfortunately I have to think that the previous owner probably did some internal damage to that transmission when they shortened the drive shaft. :eek:

Ugh.....welll i dont know. It was a heck of a lot of fun for those 3 days, and I still have legs, it only put a small hole in the floor.

Sorry to hear about the tranny. I have a couple spares, I might part with the tailshaft section of one of them if that is all you need and I have a 5-speed driveshaft. If you are broken further forward than that or have internal damage, you might as well find a new tranny my friend. Send me a pm if I can help.

Chris

Last edited:
Time for something a little stronger and a liittle better! Nothing a lot of fun coupons won't fix!:eek:

Stephen

You guys may have missed the part about the custom shortened driveshaft....this tranny was from a car in a severe front end collision (parts car) and I fear most likely endured fatal injury when it "shortened" the original driveshaft by almost an inch. I'm very curious what actually happened inside the transmission but I'm pretty sure it's not a durability issue but instead the result of previous accident damage.

Yea I have to agree, I was on the gas but tearing a drive shaft in two and killing the u joint as well as splitting the tranny in half wasnt a durability issue, there were previous problems.

Corey

My friend with an auto trans Z28 always makes fun of manual trans cars. He says "if you want to go fast you would get an automatic". Or if say "so and so has a 6-speed" he says "oh so he likes to go slow".

Sorry to hear. I have both an auto and a manual SC, and I prefer the auto, to the 5-speed, but it is fun to shift your own gears now and then.

i have a good working M5R2 with a B&M ripper and a driveshaft for a 5 speed for sale if youre interested. Im in south jersey.

Back