low engine oil?

BuRHan90SC

my VMM is showing low engine oil but then i checked the dipstick and oil seems good to its level then why is VMM showing low oil indicator?....jus the sensor or bad contact? its critical of engine oil being low thats why i posted it here...any advice would be great..thanks:)

Be sure the proper amount of oil is in the engine and you're not being misled by either the dipstick or the VMM.

My VMM tries to tell me my oil is low every now and then...usually when the car is parked sitting at an angle or with one end at a different height from the other. Each time the oil was otherwise at the proper level/amount.

Might be time to check and clean the related harness/connectors - if the issue persists consider swapping out the sensor and/or the VMM just to test.

thanks. Can u tell me where the sensor is located? :)

Passenger/right side of the oil pan - 1/2 way up between the drain plug at the bottom and the top edge of the pan where it meets the block.

See the sensor mount hole in the pan in the attached image.

Attachments

• P4010009.JPG
    P4010009.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 77
thanks to all of you my friends....but i found something weird today as i started monitoring my car my self cuz i dont really believe in these low or high level sensors.....

wen the car is running my dipstick shows the level higher than the full MARK on the dipstick and i think its normal ( maybe )...but wen i shut the car the down its show the oil level right in the middle of full and low mark....i stopped the engine and left it like that for like 30 mins and then i went bak to check the oil level again without starting the engine it was still showing at the same level between low and high mark....then i started car and checked it and it came bak to normal a lil higher than full....am i missing something here or these cars r like that? wen i changed the oil i changed it with the filter and 5w30 oil and 4.7L of oil from the book.....now is it burning oil?:eek: or ?....u guys r masters in these cars as i m new to these cars...even tho i m the student of automotive tech but still i think no matter how experienced u r U WILL COME ACROSS with some cars which u wont understand and gotta study them deep...Thanks:)

You should never check it while it's running. Not an accurate reading because the crank is spinning and slinging oil around so the level will slosh up higher on the dipstick. That's why you should check the oil when the engine is cold and has been sitting to get an accuate reading.

On my 90 - When the low oil (VMM) comes on it is about a half qt low. Top it off to the full mark with engine off and cool. Should be good to go. As stated never check with engine running. You do check your automatic transmission with engine running and transmission in park. The transmission should be up to temp.

Later
dbd

It's important that you let the motor sit a little while after shutting it off to allow time for the oil to drain back down into the pan. This is especially true with thicker oil like 20w50. I don't know how many quarts 4.7 liters is, but the SC motor takes 6 quarts.

David

It's important that you let the motor sit a little while after shutting it off to allow time for the oil to drain back down into the pan. This is especially true with thicker oil like 20w50. I don't know how many quarts 4.7 liters is, but the SC motor takes 6 quarts.

David

hey david its 5 quarters 4.7 liters...but u said SC takes about 6 quarters and this comes to 5.7 liters...r u sure its takes 6 quarters (5.7L)...cuz in shop service manual computer it says 4.7L (5 quarters)....i think u r right cuz its low?...:confused:

EDIT: i topped it off with like 1 quart and its bak on normal again...i will report bak if sumthing happens ( nothing will happen hope so :D )

Last edited:
Jeez, and you checked it while it was running. Silly....

lol...no i added last nite and then checked it in the morning without starting the motor...and it was rite on the spot where it should be..Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it...

and o ya no more low engine light :D and i think its preety good that the sensor starts to telling u even if there is half quarts short not wen its too late...like it...cuz i have 92 Nissan Maxima SE too and i siezed the engine on it cuz i duno i probably hit something in the oil pan and it was leaking slowly on highway and low engine oil light came on rite wen there was like half quart left in the engine and it siezed lol...had to swap motor..thats why i was being extra careful on SC :D

Last edited:
Back