PDA

View Full Version : Track time for the Whipple

kenewagner
05-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Went to the Club Clash this weekend. Man what a lot of fun. Made a few practice runs to see if I needed to lower the tire pressure. Got to line up with a lot of diffrent cars in practice. Car clicked off virtually all day long 13s even
Had wheel spin most of the time off the line so had 2.0 60s most of the day even after lowering tire pressure to 17 lbs. Car had a best over all MPH against Michael Menke in my last race, 109+ MPH. Best time was 13.009. The blower is not even close to its potential as it was running only 15lbs of boost,still underdriving the blower to much. Spinning the blower faster will get back some missing boost and likely put me closer to the blower sweet spot for efficiency level, 100 octane race gas and no knock sensor. Over all learned a lot about the car and bracket racing. Im so lucky that Michael Menke, the gentleman he is, gives races away:D:D:D. I can see why Kevin perfers the track to the dyno, one can figure out a lot about your car when you add all the pieces up.;)

Ken

BLOWN38
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Good job Ken. Thats a low-mid 12 MPH.:)

kenewagner
05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Good job Ken. Thats a low-mid 12 MPH.:)

I was happy over all with the performance. On the bracket racing I had to give almost 2 seconds to some of the slower cars, but ever car I was able to run them down by 3/4 the way down the track with the exception of Michael's car. He was holding me off but had to hit the brake to keep from breaking out and I nipped him at the line. I gave him a .4 head start to boot. Next year he will probably get me in return:D With an additional 4 to 5 lbs of boost and maybe tuneing the car:rolleyes: I might be able to run a lot better at the shootout.

Ken

superdadsc
05-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Ken That is awesome! You must have had a ball at the track with the new setup!

Stephen

90blkbrd
05-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I was having a problem with consistency in my 60 foot on crappy street tires so I dialed in an extra .5 seconds on my time.

I was SO far ahead of Ken I knew I was going to break out so instead of just letting off the gas I pressed on the brakes a little to hard.

Let's all be glad there wasn't a in car camera when I realized my mistake and you blew by me at 109 to my 77 mph. :eek: It was a very gut wrenching feeling. :(

Ken's car performed great and was VERY consistent.

Ira R.
05-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Good news all around. It sounds like it's starting to come together Ken. That's great. And don't be upset about beating Michael. No one else ever is :D

Ira

David Neibert
05-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Went to the Club Clash this weekend. Man what a lot of fun. Made a few practice runs to see if I needed to lower the tire pressure. Got to line up with a lot of diffrent cars in practice. Car clicked off virtually all day long 13s even
Had wheel spin most of the time off the line so had 2.0 60s most of the day even after lowering tire pressure to 17 lbs. Car had a best over all MPH against Michael Menke in my last race, 109+ MPH. Best time was 13.009. The blower is not even close to its potential as it was running only 15lbs of boost,still underdriving the blower to much. Spinning the blower faster will get back some missing boost and likely put me closer to the blower sweet spot for efficiency level, 100 octane race gas and no knock sensor. Over all learned a lot about the car and bracket racing. Im so lucky that Michael Menke, the gentleman he is, gives races away:D:D:D. I can see why Kevin perfers the track to the dyno, one can figure out a lot about your car when you add all the pieces up.;)

Ken

Nice job Ken. Glad to see you having some fun with the car.

David

kenewagner
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Nice job Ken. Glad to see you having some fun with the car.

David

It was fun and enjoyed the driving part of the car. Even entered it in a car show in Des Moines the day before. Didnt win anything but it was a weekend of using the car and I see the potential to the car and have a continuing plan for the car:D

Ken

David Neibert
05-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Ken,

When you get that boost closer to 20 pounds, you will be shocked at how much quicker the car is.

David

Ira R.
05-05-2009, 07:29 AM
It was fun and enjoyed the driving part of the car. Even entered it in a car show in Des Moines the day before. Didnt win anything but it was a weekend of using the car and I see the potential to the car and have a continuing plan for the car:D

Ken

Didn't win anything!! :confused: :eek:?? Contest must have been rigged.

It is great to see you having some fun with car now. You certainly put in enough time and energy to have earned that!! Can't wait to see it this fall.

Ira

kenewagner
05-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Didn't win anything!! :confused: :eek:?? Contest must have been rigged.

It is great to see you having some fun with car now. You certainly put in enough time and energy to have earned that!! Can't wait to see it this fall.

Ira

There were cars there that were incredable. I wasnt surprised. I knew the bane of the SC is, no one know anything about them. Everyone recognizes a camaro, or mustang or vette. I was the odd guy out. One guy commented that it looked real busy under the hood:rolleyes: Anyway I have a few projects to get close out so I will just drive the car for now;) I will be ordering a new SC pulley and thats about a 3 minute swap:D Im looking forward to seeing if David is right about be shocked at how fast it becomes. Just got to figure out how to get a good 60 foot time;)

Ken

David Neibert
05-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Just got to figure out how to get a good 60 foot time

You just need a good pair of slicks and a sticky track. What are you using for the track now ?

David

Mike8675309
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
You just need a good pair of slicks and a sticky track. What are you using for the track now ?

David

Ken is using M/T ET Street DOT Bias Ply tires - no tubes. I didn't notice what size. There were a few cars there laying down low 8 second quarter mile runs so the track was prepped pretty well.

The comment about the John Force Burnout is that Ken tended to get the tires smoking, but then let off the brake, but not the go pedal. Thus he would be smoking all the way up to the staging lights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJcaJucvgCM&feature=related

The gap between the elimination runs was enough that you pretty much should do a full burnout in each one. I suggested Ken run even lower air pressure in his tires, but by then it was time to stay consistent. My guess is that ken has some room to work on getting his staged RPM figured out for the torque converter and gears he has. Then get a consistent burnout to put heat into those tires.

I was in the running up until the last round, and I took pictures that one so I didn't get a chance to take a hard look at his launch to see if he was getting much wheel spin. On the final run, it seemed like he could be launching harder than he does, thus my comment on the staged RPM.

It was nice to see that Ken had to beat everyone to take the top prize. No bye for him. In the round where he beat me, my reaction time was behind his by more than 2 tenths, and I spun really bad off the line on street tires, leaving me more than .3 tenths off my dial. Lots of room for Ken to chase me down and the play with me at the line.

kenewagner
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM

David

I have MT ET Streets. I dropped to 17lbs of pressure. Early in the day I beleive I would have had a couple of 12s running the pontiacs but I caught them so early I back off the throttle. Later it just got hot and I was spinning off the line

Ken

Kurt K
05-05-2009, 01:37 PM
If that's the same track as the fall Club Clash, no matter how long I did my burnout, I only had one launch with a decent 60' the whole event. Granted my tires are showing their age and that may have contributed, but I had one heck of a time hooking.

XxSlowpokexX
05-05-2009, 04:41 PM
5psi more and lower 60 foot times......WATCH OUT!:eek:

Toms-SC
05-05-2009, 04:54 PM
5psi more and lower 60 foot times......WATCH OUT!:eek:

No kidding. Congrats Ken. What is the elevation of the track?

Kurt K
05-05-2009, 05:10 PM
What is the elevation of the track?Accoding to my sources 1039'

kenewagner
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
A lovely lady sent me some burn out pictures. I had to down size them some to post

Ken

David Neibert
05-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Nice...did anyone take videos ? I'd really like to hear your car.

David

superdadsc
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Nice, real nice!:D

Stephen

Thomas A
05-11-2009, 10:21 PM
The track seemed to hook pretty well for me. I was running MT Drag Radials, and had 3-4 out of the 6 runs hook perfectly, yielding 1.85-1.95 60' times.

Thomas