Question about solid coupler brands

Jamez

So I've had my Mustang swap going for maybe a couple thousand miles now. The blower has been knocking and leaking fluid the whole time, but I'm just now getting to it. I went ahead and got a seal kit off eBay (speedwagen I think) and bought the green solid coupler off eBay as well.

My question is, what brand is this that came out of my blower? It also appears to be ok, but there is definately slack once installed. I can't feel any slack in the rotor gears either. I'm guessing this is indeed an aftermarket coupler, correct? If it matters, I was told the blower came from a '90 supercoupe.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I've used 3 of the green ones and they work fine, nice and tight with no play between the pulley and rotors.

If there's slack in the dark one then the holes have to be oblonged out, even slightly which will cause slop or play in the sc.

Last edited:
I doubt this helps but when I bought a GTP blower for the rotors, it had the same couple in it. I use it and have had no problems.

Ah, this is the first SC I've taken apart. I found the factory metal/rubber seal in the snout so I assumed it had never been opened up. Luckily there are plenty of step-by-step seal/coupler threads so it was no biggie. Although I had some doubts the pulley was going to come off at first and had to bust out the impact to get the bolts/nut off.

Tony, if you're ever in town you can have this coupler :p

I was mixing up the ford/gm M90.

The ford does have the spring, but there is no reason why you cannot use the solid coupler. I used a solid gm coupler on my old blower with no problems.

The gm uses solid, and the upgrade is the green one I posted above.

I was mixing up the ford/gm M90.

The ford does have the spring, but there is no reason why you cannot use the solid coupler. I used a solid gm coupler on my old blower with no problems.

The gm uses solid, and the upgrade is the green one I posted above.

OK and good to know. I always wondered where the solid couplers were coming from.

I think the spring coupler was designed remove the shock to the blower when you shift gears. I'm assuming I have a solid coupler in my blower because can hear the blower change sounds as I shift gears.

I read a lot of the solid vs oem coupler threads and since solids are easier to find I just went with that. Also got that double-lipped seal that is apparently better than the oem.

That along with the teflon seals I got should seal everything up. Hope so anyways :D

Back