89 XR7, Trying To Source A Couple Parts

way2rud

I am restoring an 89 XR7 5-speed, just trying to finish off the drivetrain. Having the transmission pulled to install a new master and slave cylinder as well as a higher performance clutch and pressure plate this week and would really like to fix the parking brake, there is no parking brake once so ever and the handle does not stay down...trips the brake light.

What should I be looking for potential problem areas, how to fix them and locating replacement parts?

Thanks for the help.

If it's the E-brake handle I've got a couple of spares. The ratcheting mechanism is in the handle but you could have a severely stretched cable.

Is it still possible to buy a new cable or any of the parking brake components? I may need a new parking brake handle but would need to get one by Thursday afternoon, it's going under the knife then.

if its one of the cables, i ordered one for my 94 SC at O'rielly's last Novemeber, so they are available. mine was broken between the handle and where they split off in the back.

Also, i see you are in Fargo...as am i. I've got two '94 SC's....should maybe meet up sometime...

edit...lol i see we pm'ed each other a couple times way back in summer of '06....shows how often i check the site.... also ever checked out www.midwestthundercats.com ? it's more of a local site....MN, IA, NE, WI, ND...we have meets from time to time, good times

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, I ordered all of the cables in today from O-Reilly's, they will be here tomorrow. I asked them if they had any parking brake components when I ordered in my master and slave cylinders from them last week, they stated that they could not get a parking brake cable for a 97 Mustang earlier in the day...doubt they even looked it up at the time.

I am getting the XR7 done this summer, should be wrapped up by August. I have a 90 SC auto that I am going to be selling soon, need to clean up a few things that hang out in the garage. If you know anyone that maybe looking for one in the area.

Thanks again.

which one did you go to? the store on 32nd ave seems to have some lazy employees and not too helpful...at least from my experiances there. the one on main and 45th seems a lot better, was there a week ago and the guy i was talking too really knew his stuff and was very helpful.

i usually prefer advanced auto, preferably kevin at the west fargo store, but now advanced is closing all stores in north dakota, this coming saturday is the last day.

as for your SC, i'd defidently be all over it if it was a 94/95...any mods done to it?

Back