Broken Rear Subframe Bolt

Fastbull

SCCoA Member
Bracket going to the body was rusted through anyway think I broke the nut off the backside of the through bolt. I read up on it and just need to know where to drill the hole to get at the backside of the nut. Also is ford the only source of supply for a new subframe bushing and bolt I completely trashed the whole thing. Thanks.

Matt

I ran into the same problem. In my case, the bolt rusted to the metal sleeve that runs through the center of the bushing.

Instead of drilling from inside the car to gain access to the bolt from the top, we groud out the rubber around the steel sleeve in the bushing and put a pipe wrench on the steel sleeve to get the bolt to turn.

I assume that the bolt is rusted to the metal sleeve in the center of the bushing?

The new bushing from ford was about $40. I will see if I still have the receipt. It should have the part number on it.

Ted

U have to cut a v into the frame rail beside where the bolt goes in and peel back the metal to get to the rusted top nut.
You then have to heat the top nut with a torch until cherry red and hold it with a prybar while someone undoes the bolt with an impact gun.
Taking it to a shop is your best bet without doing some serious damage or lighting you car on fire.

The bolt is definately fused to the sleeve. I'll try grinding out the rubber and hopefully that top nut isn't broken don't want to have to mess with the frame. Thanks.

Back