PDA

View Full Version : Dual Intercooler Fans

Flex
05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I remember a thread awhile back where someone found dual fans that would work on the stock IC's. Can anyone remember the thread? I can't find it and would like to know how they worked.

kenewagner
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I remember a thread awhile back where someone found dual fans that would work on the stock IC's. Can anyone remember the thread? I can't find it and would like to know how they worked.

The only reason I could see for dual fans is might pull air through over a wider area than a single fan. A lot of dbl IC have a fan shroud like on the radiator of your car to suck air through. A single IC with a shroud and one fan would be a better bet than two fans. You still have a single core IC with limited flow capaicity and poor end tanks

Ken

Flex
05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Ken,

I have what appears to be one of your early double's I picked up awhile back. It came with a Permacool fan and a shroud but I looked it over and the shroud put's a lot of angle at the top and bottom of the IC.

I ran the fan of a battery and could feel a distinct difference in draw from the center to the top and or bottom. In the thread I was referrring to, a member found a dual 8" setup (if I remember correctly) that was literally wall to wall fan and was already in a plastic shroud. I know the Flexalite 365 is the same and would work but it is not cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flexalite-365-Dual-Fans-8-5-Reversible-1600-Cfm_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116Q QhashZitem3ef37baad2QQitemZ270372940498QQptZMotors Q5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Flex
05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Even the single that is currently on my own 91 SC has been modified to hopefully flow better. I welded in the corners at the inlet and outlet and then ported them out to smoothen and enlarge the flow path.

I started it last year with a little welding and porting and noticed a fair improvement in engine response and a loss of boost, which I took as an indication of better flow. This was along with a modified raised top and modified IC tubes where I cut apart and enlarged the lower and welded in all the kinks and then ported both.