Boost on the dyno vs Boost on the track

kenewagner

I pulled my dyno chart from right after I installed the Whipple. It shows mid 18s for boost. Actually my boost level was shaky all over the power band. At the track when I watched my 0-30 lb Auto meter gauge it stuck on 15lbs all the way down the track. The changes I made after the dyno were a Lentec Transmission, a much larger exhaust from the resonator all the way back to the tail pipes & syphoned out all the old, old gas and installed 100 octane. Also am running with no knock sensor. My question is would the changes drop the boost that much or is there a big diffrence on the accuracy of gauges. Is the boost diffrent from the dyno to the road due to actual loads?? Inquiring minds or mind:eek: want to know

Ken

I would think the exhaust would drop the boost but I also think the dyno would load the car creating more boost than driving it down the track which might also be some of the reason for the drop.I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in to offer some insite also.

Jay

Boost is boost. WOT is WOT. It doesn't matter where you are when you nail the throttle, the car can't tell the difference. Weather conditions, different gauges, mechanical changes all can make a difference. So yes, the exhaust will make a slight difference. I don't know about the transmission.

But the car doesn't care where you are when you go WOT and once it's tuned in you should see very little difference.

Ira

There are many things that can affect your observed boost level.

1) The exhaust is the biggest factor.

2) Rate of acceleration.

3) Ambient temperature.

4) The effectiveness of your IC.

5) Accuracy of your gauge.

You results are not surprising considering the above factors.

Time for some different pullies! Get that baby in her sweet spot! Then she will purrrrrrrrrrrr like a kitten!:D

Stephen

Now I have to figure what type of pulley I ordered for the one I have now. Cobra? or Lightning? It has to be the right one to get the pulleys and belt to line up. I beleive they have diffrent offsets.

Ken

Back