6 X 9? rear deck

mikedenton49

I'm looking at adding some mids. Anybody tried triming those triangle shaped openings in the rear deck? What to cover the speakers with? HAs anyone done this?

Mike

I'd mount them under the rear deck, and let the sound come through the carpet. I think the carpet may be thinner in those areas as the factory sub went on the passenger side and I know that side has an opening.

It would help to remove the tray and relocate the computers to the inner fender wells.

Okay got the tray out and removed the factory stereo components including the sub. I'm looking at two triangle shaped holes dont think 6 x 9 will fit, cutting the opening larger will tear up the carpet. Your right there is a hole for the sub but I would need a cooresponding hole on the other side. Another question. Has anyone had trouble with the sound produced by aftermarket speakers. The stock came with a baffled encloure. I got bad a#* infiniti kappas and the mids just arnt there. Is it becuase of the free air type set up? thanks for input

Mike

I just picked up a 91 supercoupe, and the previous owner had a massive sound system in it.. he had 6x9's in the rear dash, and made a great looking cover on the rear dash.. I'll post some pics tommorow, so you can see what he had done... the cover looks factory, and is well done..

The stock came with a baffled encloure. I got bad a#* infiniti kappas and the mids just arnt there. Is it becuase of the free air type set up? thanks for input

Mike

Those were likely JBL speakers. They all had enclosures. The problem with your infinities is likely a problem with your head unit and setting it up for your car.

I trimmed the openings in my old 90 n/a tbird for 6x9s. I ended up with one cockeyed somehow. It can be done neatly if you take your time. Just make sure nothing rattles around under the rear deck.

Yep they were the jbl's. There are some baffles available at crutchfield. I've tried every possible sound set up as far as the head unit and amps are concerned. It's just not resonating within the door. To much airspace i guess. just a thought though. I wonder if putting baffles would help. There must be some reason JBL put the enclousers in. The pics of the 6 X 9 covers would be cool. i'd like to see what everybody has done.

Thanks,
Mike

take it from me i am the audio guru i had over 6k invest in my sound system alone.

6x9s suck the design is terrible, go with a nice 6.5" component set upfront in the doors and forget about the rear fill. Theres a reason why they call it rear FILL.

6x9s suck and you don't need them coaxils suck as well, do your self a favor and get a nice 6.5" comp set a nice amp and a nice head unit then be done with it. No need to hack up the rear deck for garbage sound.

Trust me on this, try the comps first if your not happy then you can ruin your back deck.

i'd like to see what everybody has

Matched 3-ways in the doors, rear sides... Alpine single-DIN center speaker where the factory CD used to be and 10" sub in rear facing box.

I used the foam surrounds out of a lincoln for the doors/rear side speakers and a sq. ft. of deadening material on the sheet metal opposite the magnet on each.

250 W (flip-out, 5.1) head unit powers the door/side speakers. 250 W amp (mono; reversed) for the front center and sub.

Cranked up it bounces the moonroof, window glass, rear view mirror and your chest cavity just fine. I think the overall bass is excellent...the doors and sides seem to be a good match.

invest in my sound system alone.

if your not happy then you can ruin your back deck.

Yeah, thats a good way to put it. When u say it like that.

I got pioneer head, kenwood tweets in upper A. Infinity 3 way in front doors, Pinoneer 3 way in rear, and two Kenwood 12's in rear facing box. The subs over power the other speakers despite a kenwood amp powering the fronts and rears. Deading material, okay. will do. Lncoln? suround material?

Lncoln? suround material?

Nothing special...more like dust shields, but they fit as-is, so they were easy to add. Came out of late 80's~early 90's Lincoln junk yard donor cars.
attachment.php

Note the silver/shiny sound damping material inside the door in the 2nd photo below. I peeled those out of the Lincoln's as well (look in the trunk, as an example). Heated them up with a heat-gun, stuffed them through the speaker cutouts, cleaned off the inside of the door skin and stuck them in place. When the car door sheetmetal gets hot, they are a bit heavy and can release if not attached well - a bit of spray adhesive will help if that becomes an issue later. Of course you can buy new material, but that stuff is pretty pricey these days.

Attachments

• DSCN3548a.jpg
    DSCN3548a.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Back