Sound System questions

sts70004

So I am having a strange problem with my sound system. I can get it to make noise, but not a lot. It can't find any radio stations, with the antenna up or down. I pulled the radio out to see if it was connected and the antenna is in the port. My CD player lights up but when I put in a CD, it didn't try to take it in or anything. The LCD didn't come on or anything. When I pulled out the CD player I started to get a little bit of sound but not really static or anything, just sorta like a whine. I put a Tape adapter for my iPod in and it plays sound, but with it up all the way and the iPod up all the way it plays but quietly and with no bass at all. Any ideas?

So I am having a strange problem with my sound system. I can get it to make noise, but not a lot. It can't find any radio stations, with the antenna up or down. I pulled the radio out to see if it was connected and the antenna is in the port. My CD player lights up but when I put in a CD, it didn't try to take it in or anything. The LCD didn't come on or anything. When I pulled out the CD player I started to get a little bit of sound but not really static or anything, just sorta like a whine. I put a Tape adapter for my iPod in and it plays sound, but with it up all the way and the iPod up all the way it plays but quietly and with no bass at all. Any ideas?

If your CD Player is not pulling CDs in, then its internal DC-DC converter (power supply) module is bad. This is an almost universal failure mode with these units.

If your radio is not finding any stations even though your antenna is connected properly, then the radio also needs serviced. Leaking capacitors in the radio cause this problem as well as a host of other problems.

You are getting faint audio because of the CD Player is not "powering-up" properly. In a system with the CD player, it must power-up to complete the audio circuit. If it doesn't, you will just barely hear any audio, even from radio or cassette.

Almost certainly, both your radio and CD Player are bad and either need repair or replacement.

dont listen to scott :D

if it's worth it to you to fix it, i'd do that. i love having the factory stuff in there. and i like saying "dude this cd player is 20 years old !".

i think its paul petros that fixes these things. do a few searches his name will come up. he really good.

What's the point in fixing it? You'll spend more money on it than you can spend to get a modern 2009 model from a good brand name (pioneer, sony, panasonic, alpine, kenwood), and the new ones play MP3's, burned cd's etc... The old 20 year old one will not even play burned cd's. Most of my collection is stuff i've burned and the MP3 playing Pioneer I have is awesome, one CD can hold enough music for days.

But if you want to keep it original (not like these cars are worth anything) then I guess you could send them out for repair or try to buy used ones in working condition.

Just trying to be realistic here. :cool:

...The old 20 year old one will not even play burned cd's...

With all due respect to your viewpoint Scott, your statement above is simply not true. If these 20+ year old CD Players are functioning correctly, they will track burned CD-Rs without a problem. They will just not play CD-RW discs or Mp3. For that, you DO need newer technology.

So is it possible that it might be within the grasp of a electrical hobbyist to fix this or is it definitely something that needs to be sent off to somebody? Also if I send it to Paul about what ballpark am I lookin at for repairs?

Back