to build or rebuild?

LordBear

does any one know anything bout getting these engines rebuilt at all????/

to start i did have a 89 sc but sadly i had to sell it.. any how i am waiting for some money to come in hopefully soon..lol... and plan to get another sc i am still debating on which year to get but right now my question is about the motor.

my idea was just to go to one of the sc website and buy a longblock for 1900 and then have a mpx package like stage 2 i think it was. any how i called a place in portland oregon yesterday and they told me...that they didnt build the motors there.. and that they wld refer me to some one else and it would cost 4 grand to build it???? thats sounds way to much for a motor rebuild and useing better parts..

yes i do understand that depending on parts and so forth can add or subtract from the cost...but i think 4k is way to high.. all i want is a good reliable package for a daily driver not the drag strip even though i may hit one some day..... and im looking for a hp of 350-425 some where......

so any ideas? what it cost u to do a rebuild??... or whatever..
1900 going to 4k is a big jump...i can see with some better parts..2500 to 3000.. for what i want..but 4k??

Last edited:
If you're removing and reinstalling the engine yourself, $4K will buy long rods, forged pistons, MLS gaskets and more. Remans can have Taurus rods and pistons. Who knows what they did with the crank. For your goals... build.

You can get a motor from spinningwheelssc.com, supercoupe performance

Also look at S&S engines

You can get a longblock from them for a lot less than 4k. Some people haven't had problems some have

My advice, get a rebuild kit from XR7DAVE You can get forged pistons and rods, a definate upgrade from stock, a regrind cam, valve springs for the higher lift cam, all bearings, gaskets etc. You could have a local machine shop do the machine work and put her together and have your heads redone w/ a 3 angle and a P&P and be under 4k and have a motor that will take all the OD that mpx will give you.

450rwhp ain't happening. 350rwhp with that motor and the MPX is fairly common these day's.

450rwhp would take a custom turbo setup!

If you have any questions PM me

Stephen

forget about the 3.8 with an eaton if your looking for that type of power your best bang for the buck choice would be a 351w... its fairly easy

right now im in the process of gathering parts for my 351w for my 92 in an attempt to reach my 700hp goal being 100% street legal. I have a 408w turbo thread on tccoa if you want check it out.

im not after a ton of hp....i want to keep it a driver...my realistic goal..between 300-350... really like the car and the set up on the one i used to have and got ok fuel milage.. as long as my foot wasnt to the floor... i dont know...for the money i cld just order a build 5.0 and still have plenty money left over...but i dont know..getting frustrated... i like the v8s but want to get some thing a little better on fuel.... but by no means am i looking for a little import econobox..

and i dont have the means to do it myself so it has to go to a shop..

Now-a-days 300rwhp is not that hard to get to, but will require a cam and heads and some other bolt ons and a good tune. If done properly it can also be a very reliable car and can get you around 30mpg highway. It would cost ALOT more to swap to a v8 unless you started with a v8 car, and then you would not get the gas mileage, and you would need to spend money on that motor to get it to equal the sc motor.

Fraser

Back