PDA

View Full Version : cold air intake box?

LordBear
05-08-2009, 03:13 PM
after removing the retarded air silincer and so forth..there is a big hole at the bottom for fresher air to come in.... what if u build an air box there and put an electric fan in the hole blowing air in to the air box..where u wld have your air filter set up.... instead of just having it open in the warm engine bay..wld that do any good or what..i dont know..havnt heard of any one doing this.. but im guessting that the fan pushing the air in to the box from below wld supply cooler air and maybe allow the throttle to suck more air in??

Flex
05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
The problem would be that at high speeds the fan would just be an obstruction to air flow and would not keep up to engine demand.

Perhaps if you designed a box that had a separate opening for your fan, you could get the best of both worlds.

Dangle
05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I know what your saying about the hot engine air at slower speeds. SCP an others have a 'cold air divider' and a 'hi-flow air box' they sell. Looks like they are only available in a kit with tube, cone filter etc. see below.

http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=82

I also agree with the last caller, that the fan might be restrictive at higher speeds. Unless you could wire the sucker to only come on at lower speeds? Hmmm, nah it would still be somewhat of a restriction...

TinManSC92
05-08-2009, 06:03 PM
how big, and what style of fan?? too much air at idle not enough at high speeds can be adjusted. true forced air induction uh :cool: i think there's other cheaper ways of creating cooler air. have to think about that more though.:D