PDA

View Full Version : Went to the track.

fturner
05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
So I went to the track for the first time this year and datalogged a few runs with the Quarterhorse and here's my best run for the night and some observations made. This is on stock sized street tires again and the only thing that has really changed since last time is the dual exhaust I have now. Still running 10% OD on a ported blower with uncoated rotors. I'm also running 94 octane.

RT: 0.225
60': 2.097
1/8: 9.201
MPH: 77.72
1/4: 14.220 (New best by .01 ;) )
MPH: 98.47

1. The exhaust made a huge difference in my trap speeds. Before I would average about low 94mph. Now the car runs consistently in the high 97's to mid 98's. ET's where a bit better as I averaged around 14.3's instead of 14.4's.

2. 10% on a ported 94/95 blower on a single fan cooled IC is WAY too much and this is where I lost alot. It was only about 55F out but I kept going over 170F ACT's.... bye-bye 4 degrees of timing. This could have been alot worse as one thing I did notice and this comes from other tests as well. I've installed an MP chin spoiler on the car and before that ACT's would start levelling off at around 88mph which says there was enough air going in so the IC could keep up. With the chin spoiler, that dropped to 75mph. I've confirmed this over many datalogs so in fact folks it does work.

3. I've turned my timing down to 24 degrees total and turned my knock sensor back on with a full 8 degrees retard allowed. Every log shows me tickling the knock sensor right around 3800rpm's with spark retard about 2 degrees, but by 4100 or so I had full timing back, minus ACT retard of course :cool:. I had a couple of runs where the knock sensor took out a full 8, and that was around 4200 rpm's AND ACT's where hitting 150F in second gear. There was a slow recovery of timing before the shift to 3rd but after the shift the car hit the knock sensor and stayed against it until I trapped, but ACT's was over 170F by this time.

4. My AFR is pretty much bang on to commanded, maybe slightly rich so I'm confident of my MAF transfer. My car is sucking in about 890kg/h at 5000 rpm's, and that works out to about 490 cfm give or take. With some flow testing numbers I've heard about on our intake components I think I've pretty much maxed out some of them, especially the stock IC. Flow numbers showed about an average of 450cfm I believe.

The car ran great all night, but it looks like I need to go back to 5% OD for now as my ACT's are killing my car and get some slicks to improve my 60's.

Fraser

KwikGSeX
05-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Nice run.. Are you VHT'ing the tires at all?

fturner
05-09-2009, 09:09 AM
No tire treatment. Dave and I had discussed that before and its something I may try yet.

Fraser

XR7 Dave
05-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I think I've pretty much maxed out some of them, especially the stock IC. Flow numbers showed about an average of 450cfm I believe.

The stock IC flows about 240cfm @ 28". Most other components flow 400-500cfm.

thunderkid84
05-09-2009, 10:43 AM
fraser,

so u just have wuts in your mem page and the exhaust and sc porting ?

are u still keeping to the "stock class" rules ?

fturner
05-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Yup, other than the sc porting and the dual exhaust all I have is whats in that list.

I'm still following the FAST rules to a point, as I will be breaking a couple of the rules like the exhaust and a couple of other things. I'm still after the "stock" look as much as possible.

Its actually kind of funny you mention that, I had a person approach me last night and look at my car and say "Ok the throttle body isn't stock but the rest of it is... so how can you be doing those times? No TBird can run that fast without alot of work done to it.". It was everything I had not to break out with a foolish :D.

Fraser

thunderkid84
05-09-2009, 03:09 PM
yea it'll be really cool when u get into 13's and someone looks under the hood and everything is still "stock looking" :D

91bird
05-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Nice Run Fraser,
You need to borrow my tires next time and get that car into the 13's.
That's also some pretty interesting info on what's going on during your runs.

Drew

fturner
05-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I can't wait to try the tires out :).

The datalogging I'm doing (I've got about 8 gig's worth of datalogs since I started modding my car for more power) gives me alot of insight into how the car is running and what needs to be improved, and the areas that are working really well.

I've got a few more surprises going into the car this spring as well :D.

Fraser

superdadsc
05-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Frasier

Nice Run! Be interesting to she what happens with 5% and better tires!

Stephen