maximum tire width

91BLOWNBIRD

What is the maximum tire width front and back with enough clearance for no rubbing on a 91 SC with 18x9s front and back and Eibach lowering springs?

245 front probably... another guy has 255's up front lowered on 18's and they rubbed bad.

rears should be ok at 255.

hm

a friend of mine has a 95 lowered with 275 on 18s in the rear no problems and 255 front no problems, but I wasn't sure if it was different for my 91

not to jack the thread but how about on stock 16's? how wide u can go on these?...
Some guys are running 9" wide tires with no problems that I've heard about. It seems reasonable as thats only 1" more on each side..

Note however, if you're really using a stock 16x7 rim... you're wasting your money if you mount a 9" tire on it and expect it to handle better. Its about contact area and a wider tire will tuck under with a lateral load reducing the contact area.

As for straight line acceleration though, it might be better.

255 50 16 is a good fit on sc wheels, not much smaller in diameter, and give plenty of grip. you're limited to a few choices though, cheapest being bfg g-force sport.

I run 255/50/16 on my car with OEM SC wheels. They are close in the front and rear. You get more clearance in the front with 17 inch or 18 inch tires however. I am considering running a spacer on the front when I put all 4 tires like that back on.
Alan

ok i have snow tires on my SC and i m getting new tires so i might as well get some wider tires....plus from calculations 255/55 is more closer to stock than 255/50..wut u guys think? speedo seems to be more accurate with 255/55...any other guys running anything unexpected on stock rims?:p thanks:)

o and ya i m not lowering my SC yet for a gud long time...

Now that you say it you are right mine are 255/55. I had 50's before and they were too short for our cars.
Alan

I had run 255/55's and they were pretty good..Only rubbed on awkward dips with people in my car..And I was lowered..I believe they are a tad taller then stock..But check

I know i am chiming in late, but the rears in the THunderbirds, cougars and Mark VIIIs are interchangable. I had read in a magazine that a mark VIII owner (It was a 96+ car) only used backspacing to run a 315 on the rear of his car. Now I know they use bags and this might make a difference. If a mark VIII can run a 315 out back, couldn't a MN12 car? If not, what's the difference?

wheelwells are much different. I had to roll mine to let a 285 fit well...Granted I could have had the wheel tuck in a bit more but a 315 I cant see fitting no matter what without modifying the lip....Up front is another issue

I know i am chiming in late, but the rears in the THunderbirds, cougars and Mark VIIIs are interchangable. I had read in a magazine that a mark VIII owner (It was a 96+ car) only used backspacing to run a 315 on the rear of his car. Now I know they use bags and this might make a difference. If a mark VIII can run a 315 out back, couldn't a MN12 car? If not, what's the difference?

u will need spacers and rolled fenders to fit that 315

I have a pair of 99 cobra wheels i had widened to 10" and a pair of 315's to put on here in the next week or so. I let ya'll know how they fit.

Back