Need Help - Ongoing High Temperature Problem

Bird of Prey 94

I am at wits end with my Tbird temperature problem. Yesterday I scanned the Tbird with an Actron Scanner CP9145-CP9150. I did the KOEO and KOER this is what I got:

KOEO codes:
335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
214 Cold Start Injector 2 Malfunction

KOER codes:
167 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 3)
225 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch C Circuit Malfunction
632 Trans CTRL SW CKT No State Change During Self Test

My question is do any of these codes have an impact on my engine high temperature problem? I recently put in a remanufactured super charger, and while I want to believe the remanufactured super charger is not the problem, I only started experiencing the high temp problems after the installation. I have already washed out my intercooler, changed my ECT Temp sensor, and flushed the coolant system. Could someone help me!

Do you have the factory chin spoiler on there still?
Do the fans operate CORRECTLY

What thermostat do you have in it?
Is it actually running hot verified VIA a laser thermometer?

Yes I still have the factory chin spoiler on there.

The engine fan comes on to late in my opinion.

My thermostat is a 195.

No it is not actually running hot verified VIA a laser thermometer. The check guage light comes on and the needle is far right of normal and very close to going into the red box.

well from what i have heard around....is that when u get a bird..first thing u do is put in a lower temp thermostat..cuz stock ones run things hot.. and i believe it is the 180 that u need..might not fix ur prob..but its a start...

I used to have a 160 not a 180 but I was still experiencing the same high temp problem. I was told that I should not go below a 195 because the temperature system is suppose to need a 195 in order for the sensors to respond properly to the computer.

So if you say that it is not running hot, then is the gauge reading the same as the temp reading from the laser tester? From what you have stated, it seems like the gauge may be off.

So if you say that it is not running hot, then is the gauge reading the same as the temp reading from the laser tester? From what you have stated, it seems like the gauge may be off.

It is running hot. I did not get the temp reading from a laser tester. I got it from the guage itself. The needle is all the way to the right short of going into the red box, and I get the red check guage light. When I open the hood I pulled the relief lever on my 13 psi radiator cap and I can hear pressure releasing into the recovery tank, and it took about a good 5 to 10 minutes for the pressure to dissipate from the radiator into the recovery tank. I take it as a sign that it is over heating.

Without a chip, the low speed fan won't come on until the car reaches 220 and the high speed comes on at 228. All years of SC's are setup like this.

Fraser

Without a chip, the low speed fan won't come on until the car reaches 220 and the high speed comes on at 228. All years of SC's are setup like this.

Fraser

I believe I have a chip. I have a stock 1994 Tbird SC. I never actually checked to see if it had a chip, I know my car has a computer. Is this something I can find myself or do I need to take it to a mechanic?

You need to verify it is actually running hot,
And the deal with the vent lever...The system runs pressurized..So it will depressurize into the overflow bottle

You need to verify it is actually running hot,
And the deal with the vent lever...The system runs pressurized..So it will depressurize into the overflow bottle

So are you saying the only way to actually verify the high temp is with a laser tester and not the guage in the instrument panel even though the needle is all the way to the right short of the red box? Also even though the check guage icon showing is that is not enough to confirm that the temp is very high?

I believe I have a chip. I have a stock 1994 Tbird SC. I never actually checked to see if it had a chip, I know my car has a computer. Is this something I can find myself or do I need to take it to a mechanic?

The car will have a computer or EEC as its called. It'll be located up beside the glove box on the right side. You'll need to pull it down from below. A chip is a small card that plugs into the EEC to modify all the parameters (tune) to match to anything you do to the car.

If the car is totally stock and the fans come on when the car is quite hot, I would say you don't have a chip because most tuners will lower the fan on temps based on what tstat your running.

Fraser

I was just responding to your own post.

Okay let me clarify that it is running hot. However, I did not realize this via the laser thermometer. I found this out by the guage in the instrument panel as the needle is all the way to the right short of the red box, and the check guage icon is coming on.

The car will have a computer or EEC as its called. It'll be located up beside the glove box on the right side. You'll need to pull it down from below. A chip is a small card that plugs into the EEC to modify all the parameters (tune) to match to anything you do to the car.

If the car is totally stock and the fans come on when the car is quite hot, I would say you don't have a chip because most tuners will lower the fan on temps based on what tstat your running.

Fraser

Okay I will check into that and get back to you. By the way, will I need any special tools to pull it down? How will I be able to identify it in the computer? Is it possible for you to describe it for me? If I do not have one or need a new one, where can I get it from?

I truly appreciate the guidance you are providing.

Okay I will check into that and get back to you. By the way, will I need any special tools to pull it down? How will I be able to identify it in the computer? Is it possible for you to describe it for me? If I do not have one or need a new one, where can I get it from?

I truly appreciate the guidance you are providing.

Better check to see if the car is running too hot first before you start thinking of the EEC

Fraser

Back