Power steering pump

Chambers

:mad:Replaced orings twice along with power steering pump still hard to steer and wont stop leaking at the sensor. Just wondering if anyone has deleted the evo sensor and replaced it with a manual fitting. If so what type of fitting did you use and where did you get it?

did you replace the teflon seals on the ps pressure line fitting? there should have been two of them, without new ones, they will just continue leaking. :cool:

I fought the same problem for years until I searched the tech forum and found that you need to replace the seals in the evo. You can get seals in the power steering pump re-seal kit, you'll need two kits. ACDELCO Part # 36351210. Also depending on what year you have your evo fitting may have been made wrong. From my experience only the 94-95 evo fittings were machined correctly. I have evo valves from 89,90 and 95. Only the 95 has the fitting drilled correctly. So if you have the bad fitting it will leak no matter what you do.

I fought the same problem for years until I searched the tech forum and found that you need to replace the seals in the evo. You can get seals in the power steering pump re-seal kit, you'll need two kits. ACDELCO Part # 36351210. Also depending on what year you have your evo fitting may have been made wrong. From my experience only the 94-95 evo fittings were machined correctly. I have evo valves from 89,90 and 95. Only the 95 has the fitting drilled correctly. So if you have the bad fitting it will leak no matter what you do.

Like JimmyMan says, there are 2 o-rings under the sleeve on the EVO. Remove the o-ring in front of the sleeve, and the sleeve will pull apart with a little brute force. Replace the o-rings. Each of the power steering kits only have 1 of the correct o-rings, you have to buy 2 kits.

Mine was leaking at the sleeve also and wouldn't stop until I replaced these o-rings. I was able to slow it down with some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. Always replace the teflon seal on the high pressure connection when you put it back together. I'll take a picture tonight of the EVO seals tonight and update post.

Here are the pics. Also, lube new o-rings with petroleum jelly when you put everything back together.

Attachments

• Photo   4.JPG
    Photo 4.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Photo   7.JPG
    Photo 7.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 1,468
Last edited:
take your fuse box/coolant res./ and battery out... trust me

makes the job 10x easier... i did it three times. ;)

Like JimmyMan says, there are 2 o-rings under the sleeve on the EVO. Remove the o-ring in front of the sleeve, and the sleeve will pull apart with a little brute force. Replace the o-rings. Each of the power steering kits only have 1 of the correct o-rings, you have to buy 2 kits.

Mine was leaking at the sleeve also and wouldn't stop until I replaced these o-rings. I was able to slow it down with some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. Always replace the teflon seal on the high pressure connection when you put it back together. I'll take a picture tonight of the EVO seals tonight and update post.

Here are the pics. Also, lube new o-rings with petroleum jelly when you put everything back together.

See updated pics of EVO o-rings.

Kenndall what do you mean the fitting is machined incorrectly?
Can you post pics of the difference?:eek:

89 & 90 EVO Valves were made by a different manufacturer than were the 91 and up valves. This makes the PS hose unique for those first two years.

this is the power steering pressure line from my 89. you can see that it's supposed to seal around the o-ring thats a 1/4 inch or so from the bottom.

Picture058.jpg

this pic is of the fitting that came with my new pump. as far as i know there were 2 seperate part numbers for sc and non sc pumps. carquest dropped the sc part number because the only difference was the sc pump did not come with this fitting. anyway after seeing this fitting for the first time i knew that something was wrong with my evo fitting. you can clearly see that past the threads there is a deep "well". that is where the o-ring is supposed to seal.

100_0814.jpg

not the best pic but you can make out that there is no "well" after the threads. so for 18 years it's been a metal to metal seal. the o-ring had nothing to seal to.

100_0815.jpg

this last pic is of the 3 evo fittings i had. i decided to pull out everything i had and found that the 95 fitting did have the "well". hope this helps

Picture055.jpg

there is only one o-ring per kit that will fit the evo. you will need two. i've tried the regular parts store o-rings and they don't last, must be something special about the o-rings in the kit.

i know this is an old post but...

I just had leaking issues with the evo sensors on both of my birds. I replaced the line and teflon on all threads and still leaked at the sensor. I finally gave up, seriously spent 2 weeks and after taking out the pump 6 times, and bought a new reman pump w/o the evo sensor. No leaks and I can finally drive my bird with my new pulley and massive intercooler! :)

Back