Standards for High Performance parts

kenewagner

Just kicking this question around in my mind. For a high performance internals there is a lot of options out there. Not being a ace mechanic I am wondering about the diffrence in diffrent internal coponents used for a bullit proof bottom end. Are some a lot stronger than others or is it just a price thing?
For instance

H beam vs I beam rods
Wiseco forged pistons vs Diamond forged pistons
Coated pistons vs uncoated pistons

Just interested for information sake as Im sure there are diffrent levels on can take the bottom level to

Ken

oh yes, there are major differences between H beam and I beam rods. also, between coated and un-coated pistons. the difference between wiseco and diamond is pricing. both are high quality pistons, its just one company may do a little more research than another, which is where the pricing comes in. along with supply and demand. SSM is more expensive than morana and 3.8mustangs because they do a lot of research on their parts. not to bash 3.8mustangs.

H beam rods can handle higher RPMS and more abuse due to their design. I beam rods are weak at high rpms and will break, just like our stock I beam rods.

coated pistons can handle higher combustion temperatures than non coated pistons, I'm not too knowledgable about the coating, but from what little bit I've read, the coating helps handle the heat.

also, there are differences in the types of metals used in forged rods. I'm not sure on the numbers, but I think 4340 is the standard for forged internals. there are other metals like 4240 and stuff like that, those aren't as strong. those numbers are guesses..I don't remember off of the top of my head the exact numbers they use.

Back