1997 Thunderbird Govern - speed limiter? Urgent!

daisy15

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the speed limiter is set to on a 1997, V6, 3.8L Thunderbird. Also, if there is any documentation of this. It's a pretty urgent matter haha.

Thanks, I appreciate any help or advice!!

Last edited:
As far as I know. All the autos had a governer of around 103 MPh. Maybe 97 MPh... Those were the most popular speeds.

Well, they are talking about a 97 3.8, not a SC ... speed is governed to 105 mph, but people have claimed between 103-107 actual MPH on the 94-97's; I believe there is a small difference between the 4.6 and 3.8 also.

- Dan

I read an article that most newer cars are governed from the factory by the speed rating off the tires that came on the car from the factory.

For instance Firebird TransAm's were speed governed if they came with all season tires and the ones that came with the summer tire didn't.

Well, they are talking about a 97 3.8, not a SC ... speed is governed to 105 mph, but people have claimed between 103-107 actual MPH on the 94-97's; I believe there is a small difference between the 4.6 and 3.8 also.

- Dan

I have a 4.6 '97 LX. The speed limiter was right around 105. Got a chip, which eliminated the limiter.

What I found strange about T-Bird speed limiters is that my 1st Bird, a 3.8 n/a '93 LX would do about 117 mph. At around 110 you could feel the car lifting on the suspension. My '97, with the sports suspension package, is very stable in the low triple digits compared to the '93. You would think Ford would have limited the '93s to 105 mph.

My SC was lowered 1.5 inches by the previous owner. No speed limiter that I know of. Very stable at high speeds. But the windshield wipers will start flapping around if you go fast enough.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

110 in my 95 3.8lx (on a closed course, with a professional driver)
150 in my 95 5-speed, no limiter, ran out of road. at 140, the sunroof begins to get sucked down in the frame. :eek:

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the speed limiter is set to on a 1997, V6, 3.8L Thunderbird. Also, if there is any documentation of this. It's a pretty urgent matter haha.

Thanks, I appreciate any help or advice!!

well what does your ticket say?? next time slow down and you wont have this problem.

Back