going to MAACO tomorrow

89tird

Finally decided to get the car painted, the chameleon paint is just too expensive and basically everything needs paint.

im going with BLACK, $230 presidential paint job plus materials and supplies $400 total no door jambs. 2 YR warranty taking the car in tomorrow morning and picking it up saturday. Hopefully comes out good

You should be happy

I had mine done about 2 months ago and was very happy with the outcome. Just need to have the pinstripe put back on my anny.

lol will take pictures when done. I just hope thers not too much overspray.

90mn12, which paint package did you get ?

Re paint

Did the 4 year. Mach one bumper and different rear bumper was on car needing paint. With dent repair was like 850 i think. Again, was very happy with it. Slight overspray but plan to take back to have pin stripes installed and see what they can do about that if anything. But still happier to drive car though.:d

Once I get done working on my 93, I think I'm going to get one of those $800 presidential paint jobs. I spent nearly $7K getting my 91 repainted and now I'm afraid to touch it for fear of scratching it or something.

David

I've had and seen mixed results with Maaco over the years. Sometimes they do good and sometimes they make lots of mistakes. For instance, they didn't tape off a parking light once and they don't sand down chips and scratches too well. Check it over real well and don't hesitate to complain if it isn't like you want it. I actually had them do a repaint once because I was unhappy. I've seen 2 cars that they did a beautiful job on. The price is certainly right.

I had them paint my Opal frost '94 a few months ago. The paint, little body work plus a clear coat cost me $525, looks dam nice for the money I paid.

Attachments

• detailed%2094%20003.JPG
    detailed%2094%20003.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 192
As others have said before...the issue with Macco is not the paint, but the prep time involved (which they don't do well).

Any shop you go to will have similar prices for materials and the time involved to lay down the color and clear. The huge price break is due to the very minimal time spent in properly prepping the car before primer is even layed down. In addition, a lot of time is spent afterwards wetsanding and buffing the car...again, which it not included in the price.

Personally...I would never go to Macco just for that reason. It may look good, but the question is, will it last longer than their 2 year warranty? I've seen cars they've done that looked great, but the paint was extremely thin.

Last edited:
Every macco is different, plus a 2 year warranty helps. If its a bad paint job it wont even last a year.

Looks good

Jerry

My 91 explorer was painted by MAACO using their ambassador package I believe. For one it was not finished when they said it would be, when we picked it up the paint was still tacky, and they painted over the chrome 1/4 panel pieces. The paint is flaking off in huge pieces because they painted over mud! They taped over the original paint in a bunch of spots, which is really noticable on the passenger side doors which were replaced and they were blue/purple two tone. I was not happy with the results from maaco. However I think if I ever had to get a vehicle painted at maaco I would do all of the prep work myself, and just have them spray it.

Im going to wash the car today and sand the paint chips, the good thing is that I dont really have dents.

I had my first car painted by MACCO's competitor Earl Scheib years ago. I would suggest removing as mainy pieces on the outside that you don't want to be painted as you can.

They will not remove marker lights, Cowl trim, corner lights etc...they did a half a$$ job on taping mine and paint was on all those areas...I would just remove then before I dropped it off if at all possible. Will save ya a headache later on.

-Tim

Like anything else, each shop is going to be a little different. It all depends on if the crew knows what they're doing and if they take any pride in their work. There is no excuse for sloppy work and you shouldn't have to pay for that.

Ask to see a couple of cars they've already painted before committing yours. Chances are if they cared enough to a good job on someone's '01 Focus that they'll do a pretty good job on yours as well.

Ira

Kind of good news

I went today and dropped off the car, The price is going to be a lil higher because they have to strip the hood roof and trunk down to bare metal, total is going to be $524.

The good news is that Im not painting it black he said he could match my factory color no problem. So I dont have to change the title and I dont have to paint the door jambs or under hood.:D, The garage is big fits like 20 cars, the booths look like state of the art, I saw some of the cars they painted and they look good.

hopefully mine comes out good too :cool:

oh and hes going to fix my small door dings and trunk lid dent for $17

Had a MAACO paint job done on my first car around 1980. I did most of the prep work, as I spent the summer hand wet/sanding the original paint down to the primer. I had to fix some rust holes and fill some dings. Then my dad and I applied the primer in the garage using a old paint gun and a air compressor built from a big tank, and the compressor from an old refrigerator and a big electric motor. then we fixed all the runs and stuff from the paint and drove it over to maaco. $99 back then and the car had new paint on it.

Other that some bad rust repair I did, the paint held up good for 3 or 4 years until I sold the car to a guy who was going to use the drivetrain for a dune buggy.

I have two cars painted by them. A 1980 280ce mercedes and a 1985 300 Turbodeisel. One came out great, the other not so great. Same shop:rolleyes:

Stephen

The 280ce would be awesome with a 3.8SC drive train!:eek: It is a beautiful coupe!

Back