Underbody - Northern XR7

TNOUTDOORS

SCCoA Member
I've been looking at this 1990 XR7 SC pretty hard. 89K, Auto, all service records. I've always liked the White/Black combination to try a project with. For the bodyshop guys and guys with northern cars in general what are your thoughts about the shape of this underbody. I have certainly seen worse, rocker panels etc. and this looks like surface rust mostly. My southern 89 XR7 has hardly a hint of rust under there, exception suspension components. Never had a northern car so I'm lost. Any insight and experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks..Randall

Last edited:
Suspension work and alignment will be somewhat of a large pain due to things being rotted and siezed(believe me i know).
Underbody looks not to bad,drs floor may be a little ripe,check under the drs carpet in the interior to see if it's ripe inside due to moisture from wet salty boots over the years.
Make sure you inspect the rocker pinch welds and rockers(as much as you can under the skirt)near the rear tire as they rot out there and would be a expensive to replace.
Also inspect the 1/4 panel wheel openings for rot or bubbles on the lip as this means rot from the inner 1/4,another expensive place to repair.
I live in the salt belt in ontario and had to scrap my 91sc due to rot.
However it lives on in my now mint 89sc with a drivetrain and interior swap from the 91.
My 89 is a northern car but was never winter driven.

I've declined the deal but am passing pics on to the club

Car was on craigslist. My last price from the owner was $2700.00. I have passed on it but maybe somewhere here can deal on it if interested. It will likely be rolling into an auction near zip code 44115 in f you are interested. My contact was Tom Nowack, email tomnowak@att.net.

Last edited:
Back